Congrats to the ClimbingCooneys, 13er finishers!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Congrats to the ClimbingCooneys, 13er finishers!

Postby TeresaGergen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Tim and Carrie Cooney finished the 13ers today on Boreas. They climbed all of them together as a couple!

Thanks again to both of you for the open invitation to join you on this special day.
TeresaGergen

Re: Congrats to the ClimbingCooneys, 13er finishers!

Postby kirkmallory » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Congratulations to the two of you! It was great to finally meet you.

Climbing Cooneys.jpg
kirkmallory

Postby markott » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 am

What a Great accomplishment, especially doing this amazing feat together!!!! What's
next for you two? Keep on Hiking!!! :-D
Warmly, Mark Ott
markott

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Congratulations Cooneys! What a list! Keep climbing.

lp
lukePlumley

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 am

Congrats! Saw your names on 13060's register yesterday (636/637). I guess with Kathee Thomure's finish being # 25, that makes you #26 and #27?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm

This year began with us having 13, 13ers to finish in 2013. We were wondering if 13 would turn out to be a lucky number for us and indeed it did. UN 13,060 was undoubtedly our toughest ascent this season. John K., you probably saw in the register the name we suggested for that peak. Besides Un13,060, there were two others that might have tripped us up in reaching our goal - "Ribbed Peak" and Precarious. Both of those went without a hitch and we found Ribbed to be an interesting and entertaining ascent.
So Saturday, a total of 20 of us gathered on the summit of Boreas Mtn. Carrie & I dedicated the climb to the memory of Bob Alden, one of our earliest climbing partners. We were so surprised and pleased to be joined not only by Jean Aschenbrenner and Ken Nolan, who had indicated they would meet us, but also Kirk Mallory, Teresa Gergen and Jack Dais! What a pleasure it was to have all of you join us and to take time out from your own agendas. (Ken I hope your knee surgeon doesn't monitor this site for your activities!) We were also accompanied by our friends from Grand Junction, Mark & Leslie Anema; their daughter Karen, son-in-law Lee and their two very young children; our son, Shaun and his wife Lyndsi and our grandson, 16 month old Kaeden; our daughter Sharon and granddaughter, 5 year old Rhema; Carrie's father, 78 year old Herb Sanford; and last, but certainly not least, our climbing partner for 22 years. Our son-in law, Ken Smith, and Carrie's mother, Sandy, waited at the pass for us patiently while our large party took about 5 hours for the round trip. On the summit, our son & daugher presented us with a beautifully made, commemorative trophy.
Weather cooperated much more than the last forecast had indicated and we summited and returned without concern. We were able to serve up some post-climb lunch and everyone was able to linger for a while before a sudden rainshower sent us all scurrying on our separate ways.
Teresa & Kirk, thanks for the photos and the invite to Colorado Climbers.
Mark Ott, - wish you could have made it. Hopefully we can meet up some time.
Luke - your help last year was indispensible in reaching our goal.
Jean - hope we can work out some canyoneering with you some time.
John - thanks again for a website like this.
Ken - hope we didn't overdo your knee and that you get back into shape quickly. Thanks for the drawing/tribute.
Jack - great to visit with you and learn more about you & your wife.
Carrie and I look forward to seeing more of all of you!

So what's next? As we keep telling people, we'll still have some lists, but we want to keep them a lot shorter now. Completing the 13ers feels a little bit liberating. Our lives no longer have to revolve around that one list. But we'll never give up climbing until age forces us and even then, we'll be demanding that our kids take us to the mountains in our wheelchairs!
Last edited by ClimbingCooneys on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm

ClimbingCooneys wrote:UN 13,060 was undoubtedly our toughest ascent this season. John K., you probably saw in the register the name we suggested for that peak.

Heh - I must have missed that, but that north-side couloir is definitely unique Toliet. Kind of cement-like. It would have been easier for us if we went up the wide gully splitting the SE face after descending the south side. Instead I proceeded with the unpopular idea going up a 4th class/low 5 slot gully to gain the SE face.
:chair:
With the spontaneous rockfall qualities of the area the gully is a dangerous place to be.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 pm

ClimbingCooneys wrote:Heh - I must have missed that, but that north-side couloir is definitely unique . Kind of cement-like. It would have been easier for us if we went up the wide gully splitting the SE face after descending the south side. Instead I proceeded with the unpopular idea going up a 4th class/low 5 slot gully to gain the SE face.

With the spontaneous rockfall qualities of the area the gully is a dangerous place to be.

We decided to name it S.O.B. peak, mainly because of the access issues we had both coming & going. I think we left that in the register on the east summit. Then we realized the other summit was the higher/official one and went over. Just couldn't seem to stay on the faint-at-times trails. Took us 15.5 hours to complete that day. When we were in the north couloir, a lot of it was wet & muddy with all kinds of rocks ready to slide/roll. Once to the saddle, the best part of the day was the nice scrambling for 400 feet to the summit and the scramble between the two summits. Not wanting to return the same way we came, we thought we would do ourselves a favor and go down the SE couloir and out the Pierre Lakes Basin trail. Not! Lost that a few times too. But Mikes suggestion on how to get to the north couloir was right on. We just failed to pick up the trail to Moon Lake from the lower packhorse camp on the West fork of Snowmass Creek which led to some really tiresome bushwhacking. I was almost ashamed of our inability that day to stay on a good route. We call ourselves peakbaggers?
As for your route up, sounds a little spooky. Our overall assessment, 13,060 is just like it's parent Clark, large blocks of the same kind of rock ready to move with the least amount of effort.
ClimbingCooneys

Postby Ken Nolan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm

CC - Congrats again on a significant achievement.
Ken Nolan

Postby DaveLanders » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am

Congratulations! I remember seeing your signatures in summit registers from the 80's and 90's.
Wasn't your tag line something like "Been there, done that" ?
DaveLanders

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:44 am

DaveLanders wrote:Congratulations! I remember seeing your signatures in summit registers from the 80's and 90's.
Wasn't your tag line something like "Been there, done that" ?

Thanks, Dave.
Yes- that use to be our tag line for a long time. Then we changed to "Beaten paths are for beaten men."
Off the beaten path is where we prefer to be and will keep on going!
ClimbingCooneys

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Congrats!
RyanSchilling

Postby Steve Knapp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Well done, its great to see you finish the 13ers! How long have you been working on this? I'm probably on your plan, if I finish it will be about the year 2032. Its great that you can do them together, it is rare as so many of us catch the climbing bug and their significant other does not.

Still plenty of time to complete the 12ers, only 667 left to go. You'd best pick up the pace though. :-P

Steve
Steve Knapp

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Saw your entry in Copeland's register on Wednesday, congrats guys!
ChrisRoberts

Postby Brian Kalet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Congratulations, guys; that's crazy you climbed all of them together!
Brian Kalet

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks