Precarious Peak & others

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Precarious Peak & others

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Beginning the middle of next week, we have 7 days scheduled to go in and try to clean out the remaining Elk 13ers. Many are located close to Precarious Peak & we've been debating best approach. It wa over 35 years ago that I was ever at Copper lake on the south side of East Maroon pass. I recall some good camping within proximity of the lake. But another way to approach Precarious and some of the other 13ers is by going up Rustler Gulch. Is there any good camping up in there? The few photos I've seen make it look rather sparse for trees. Looks like Precarious and 3 other 13ers could all be easily climbed from Rustler, but another 13er a couple miles north of Precarious (UN 13,180) appears best approached from the upper reaches of East maroon Creek? Any beta, opinions or feedback is appreciated on any of these peaks, particularly regarding doing Precarious from the east summit ridge or from the south or SW side approach.
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Re: Precarious Peak & others

Postby DaveLanders » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I combined 13180 with 13140 from Rustler Gulch; I just did an out and back on the connecting ridge; it
wasn't difficult. I did Precarious from a camp at Copper Lake; Copper Lake is now on a designated camp site
system; there are about 8-10 sites I think. That area could be crowded on a weekend.
Good luck with your trip; you're getting close!
DaveLanders

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the repsonse, Dave. Didn't know about the designated site system at Copper Lake. Helpful! Do you have any idea about how you obtain the permits? Are they first come first serve or reserved somehow?
the Fr 569 road that heads up Rustler toward Mt. Belleview, did you drive that any? Even if you walked it, what kind of condition was it? Looks like you could save a little walking distance by driving up that road before taking the trail/old road fork that goes into the wilderness area and up into Rustler.
9 Peaks to go! 8 are in the Elks.
ClimbingCooneys

Postby DaveLanders » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm

It's been at least 10 years since I was at Copper Lake. At that time, it was just a first-come, first-served
system (basically the same as Geneva Lake and Crater Lake (the one by the Bells)). You didn't need an
actual permit.

I just walked the road up Rustler Gulch because it was early in the summer, and I was nervous about
trying to cross the creek with my truck. I did have to wade the creek a couple of times. That was also
at least 10 years ago, so I don't know what the current road is like.
DaveLanders

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 am

Climbed Precarious Peak and others in the area over July 10 - 12. Used the SW couloir approach to Precarious. We did not think the couloir was that bad as far as those can go. We've seen worse. The traverse on the north slopes to avoid a minor notch was worse. A short rope and some sling/webbing might be a better way to dispatch with the notch.
As for camping in Rustler Gulch, here's is what we found. To get across the East River, you could either wade or use a 4WD vehicle. The road down to the crossing is rocky. Just after fording the river, there is a nice camp area. Beyond there, the road climbs steeply for a short distance then levels out some and passes in short order, about two more camp spots where you could make do for the night. The 4WD drive road continues from the river crossing about a mile through meadows to a gate that marks the beginning of the Rustler trail. It's possible for a few vehicles to park here. Packing on up the gulch, we did not see any more very good and/or well-used campsites. When the trail fords the main creek, be prepared to get your feet wet or follow a bypass upstream for a couple hundred yards to an easier crossing.
As the trail passes through open meadows filled with wildflowers, it will begin to turn to the east and SE. Shortly after making that turn, and just above where the creek tumbles down some cascades, there are some trees across the creek to the south that come down near to the creek. Cross the creek above the cascade and locate a somewhat used trail that meanders through the willows going upslope and then turning back west into the trees above the creek. There is a small campsite located in here with an old firering and enough tent space for two, two-man tents. From here, the beginning of the climb up Precarious is about 1.5 miles away. The flowers in this gulch are extraordinary!
ClimbingCooneys

Return to Colorado Peaks