Steve Knapp and Brian Kalet finish Fremont County

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Steve Knapp and Brian Kalet finish Fremont County

Postby TeresaGergen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Congrats, you two! You're racking up counties left and right!
TeresaGergen

Re: Steve Knapp and Brian Kalet finish Fremont County

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Great job guys. Fremont seems like a tough, hot county! Did you finish on Nipple? Anything 4th/5th class in Fremont?

lp
lukePlumley

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks Luke and Teresa, and congrats Brian and thank you for joining me on many of these. It was a tough project, with lots of brutal bushwhacking. Only 25 peaks are above 10k, so 85% of the list is below 10k. And it does get hot, this is why we climbed the vast majority of peaks below 10k in the winter months. It is a great winter area, deep snow does generally not fall here. I love snow as much as anyone but postholing is not my favorite thing. We did climb three of the lower peaks in July following a Sangres hike, this was the hottest hike I've ever done at 95-100 degrees.

Many of the hikes were enjoyable though, probably only 10-20% of the list was truly awful. The ten peak traverse of the northern Sangre crest we did in June 2011 was one of the best days I've enjoyed in the mountains. Thank you Brian and Mike R for making that happen with the shuttle to Hayden Pass. I didn't climb my first Fremont peak until 2010, so a little over three years to finish. 19 in 2010, 51 in 2011, 43 in 2012, 52 in the push to finish this year.

Our final day in the county first started with that new peak, 6660. Tough little peak to get from the west, and a good reminder of what the majority of Fremont peaks are like. Then up to the cool environs of Hayden pass. We were blocked by a snow drift on the east side less than a mile before the pass, started from there. Nice hike of about ten miles to finish the list on Nipple mountain. It was a great day.

There is no class 4 or 5 that I can think of, but some nice scrambling on a few peaks. Hindman Dome was especially nice.
Last edited by Steve Knapp on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Knapp

Postby Ken Nolan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

Congrats Steve and Brian. Doesn’t sound as if Fremont would be a happy county for an alpine wanderer, but it is sort of in my neighborhood. I may require winter entertainment in the years ahead.
Ken Nolan

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Congrats guys.
It's been a busy last couple months for county completions...
I've added an additional view to the county summit completions page to see the county completers list for a state by descending date (this should be a bit more handy to keep us apprised of completions as they happen). Clicking the input highlighted in yellow below will show completions by descending date:

Capture.JPG
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks John, I like it. I didn't know MG finished Mineral, San Miguel, and La Plata counties just this year. The county lists are fun, especially for someone like me for whom the 13ers or 12ers is a life-long project. Good to have some intermediate goals and lists to work on. Without your awesome site this would be much harder/impossible to keep track of.

And we have another list completed yesterday. Congrats on finishing Custer county with a big 8-peak day! Probably deserves a separate thread. Another fine group of peaks. Well done!
Steve Knapp

Postby Brian Kalet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the acknowledgements John, Ken, Luke & Teresa & thanks to my partners: Alyson Kirk, John Kirk, Mike Rodenak & Steve Knapp.

Steve Knapp wrote:I didn't know MG finished Mineral, San Miguel, and La Plata counties just this year...And we have another list completed yesterday. Congrats on finishing Custer county with a big 8-peak day! Probably deserves a separate thread. Another fine group of peaks. Well done!

Looks like Mike has 16 & John has 17 completed CO counties, wow!
Brian Kalet

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Nice job, you two! "Brutal bushwhacks" indeed... I wrecked a lot of good clothes in Fremont county. Congratulations!
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Return to Colorado Peaks