Ken Nolan finishes Chaffee County!

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Ken Nolan finishes Chaffee County!

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm

It looks like Ken Nolan has become the 3rd person to finish the Chaffee County peaks, finishing on Point 9,082.

Congratulations Ken!
Ryan Kowalski

Re: Ken Nolan finishes Chaffee County!

Postby lukePlumley » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Congratulations Ken. Your finisher looks like a fine little peak.

lp
lukePlumley

Postby Steve Knapp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

Congratulations Ken! You showed true patience waiting to climb the last one. Having only one left on any list would drive me crazy. You seemed to have recently embraced the county list mentality, tearing it up down in Saguache. Perhaps now its time to climb everything you've driven by so many times before. That or your snowshoes got stolen from the garage. :)
Steve Knapp

Postby Ken Nolan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks. About time, eh? I spent maybe three years with 9082 as a widow. Jean and I decided Thursday evening to go get it done. Nice peak.

Ryan – Your trip report (http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/TripRe ... &pkid=4585) was quite useful at the summit block to suggest that the north side harbored a route easier than the chimney on the south.

I do have a question. We originally planned to play with soft-ranked 8620 (http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=4585) afterward; turned out not to have enough time. As you see, John identifies the peak as the northern of two 8,600’ closed contours. Your report suggests that you climbed the southern bump and could not tell if the northern is higher; the link to photos and topo no longer works.

So, which did you climb? Any idea why John chose the northern for the location? It’s certainly the more visually striking.

Steve – “… embraced the … mentality …”. I like that. It’s what happens when my body can’t deal with alpine peaks and I have more or less unlimited time available. Surprising how smoothly I’m making the mental transition.
Ken Nolan

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am

Ken,

I hadn't noticed that John moved the bump to the northern one. I'm not sure what the impetus was for that as I know Adam and Pete both climbed the same southern one as me so if the northern IS the summit, then no one on LOJ has yet climbed it. I didn't have a hand level with me on the hike so wouldn't be able to officially say the southern is higher but am curious why John moved it?

Anyway, congratulations on finishing up!
Ryan Kowalski

Postby John Kirk » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Ryan Kowalski wrote:I didn't have a hand level with me on the hike so wouldn't be able to officially say the southern is higher but am curious why John moved it?

From my climb of 9082 the northern contour appeared higher. Mike Garratt found the same. Then in the TR, I must have misread it where you mention the northern of two split summits was higher, thinking you made the summit of the north contour - should have kept reading further down. Probably needs a proper visit with a level and a rack. Looks like a nice offwidth on the north side:
IMG_3364.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Ryan Kowalski » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the explanation John. When standing on the south summit, it really is hard to tell which is higher. That north summit looks like prime rock climbing from almost every vantage, not sure about the rappel from the top though! I'd like to someday give it a try though
Ryan Kowalski

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Chaffee County was quickly followed by Alamosa County. Ken's on a roll.
TeresaGergen

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Uh-oh! He might suddenly become addicted to geographically constrainted peak-lists! And might have to grid them all! Yikes! :worms:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby lukePlumley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Don't stop now Ken. Gunnison County is there for the taking!

lp
lukePlumley

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 am

IPW: 1 left
RMNP ranked: 4 left
Summit: 5 left
Hinsdale: 9 left
Mineral: 13 left
Clear Creek: 13 left
Rio Grande: 22 left
Saguache: 31 left

Lotta 10ers in those lists too.
TeresaGergen

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I've heard that one in Hinsdale is quite a roughie, definitely 5th class.

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=3304

I SURE would be interested if someone wanted to go down there and get that one... :disturbed:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Jeremy Hakes wrote:I've heard that one in Hinsdale is quite a roughie, definitely 5th class.

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=3304

I SURE would be interested if someone wanted to go down there and get that one... :disturbed:

I'd like to check that one out too. Might need a rack like we're taking on one of the Fishers...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Jeremy Hakes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 am

Just let me know when. I'll bring my hammerdrill to install safe rap anchors on top. :shh:
Jeremy Hakes

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 am

I'm also interested in that peak and have been figuring it must be 5th Class since no one's done it.
TeresaGergen

Next

Return to Colorado Peaks