southern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

southern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park

Postby argothor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 am

On your map of Rocky Mountain National Park, you show the old southern boundary. The current boundary east of the Continental Divide follows the ridge from Ogalalla Peak, 13,138' east to Elk Tooth, 12,848 and onto St. Vrain Mountain, 12,162 before continuing on to Meadow Mountain, 11,632.

West of the Continental Divide from Ogalalla Peak, the boundary follows the ridge west to point 13,049 and then to point 12,324, which is just north of Hiamovi Mountain, and then west to Watanga Mountain, 12,375. The boundary then continues further west along the ridge to include Twin Peaks, 11,957.

Correcting the boundary would add five ranked peaks to the total peaks in Rocky Mountain National Park.
argothor

Re: southern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park

Postby Brian Kalet » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Maybe John just fixed this, but are you sure you aren't confusing the Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness list with the Rocky Mountain National Park list?
Brian Kalet

Re: southern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park

Postby John Kirk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 pm

No fixes by me... Sounds like you've identified the difference Brian. There is a big difference between Wilderness vs. Park boundaries.

Note that the NP lists I have listed out thus far do not have boundaries plotted on the maps (yet) as I haven't found good source data for those boundaries.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Colorado Peaks