Peak 5750 summit mismarked

Discuss Colorado's Peaks

Peak 5750 summit mismarked

Postby Scott Patterson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm

This is no big deal since it is obvious which is the highest point once you get up there, but the summit of Peak 5750 is where the arrow is pointing:

5750.JPG

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/6564

It's really obvious once you get up there that this point is higher than the marked one.

I don't know if it's worth fixing on LOJ or not.
Scott Patterson

Re: Peak 5750 summit mismarked

Postby Erik Packard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Perhaps you have been fooled by perspective? The W contour has been hand leveled higher by none other than Bob Packard. Perspective here can be quite misleading as when near the E contour the land behind the W contour is much higher making it "feel" like the W contour is lower. Been meaning to go out to bag Eagle's Nest Rock since it wasn't on LOJ the other times I had done 5750. So went out there today with my cheap level to kill two birds with one stone. Here's the history as I recall. LOJ originally had summit on E contour. Had been out there with my young daughters (and no level) and agreed, but did not think it was obvious. Only one of my daughters went out with me to the W contour. Later my dad, with his very nice level, climbed it and told me the W contour was higher. As I was little surprised, although not shocked, I remember asking him how sure he was and he had no doubt. Later took the daughter that missed the W contour out there to remedy the situation. I at the time still did not have a level. Today with my cheap level I agree the W contour is higher, perhaps by just 1 foot. I wouldn't call it a slam dunk but conclusive.
Last edited by Erik Packard on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik Packard

Postby Erik Packard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Mentioned it to my dad and he looked in his notes and replied to me:

"Oct 12, 2011. Notes say west of 2 knobs is 1-2 feet higher."
Erik Packard

Postby Scott Patterson » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm standing on the west summit right now. Unfortunately it's getting pretty dark. If what you say is true then it is weird because the next known east seems taller when you are on it.

If you used a level though, I'd have to take your word for it.
Scott Patterson

Postby Scott Patterson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:58 pm

According to LiDAR the eastern point is higher. LiDAR Analysis done by bdloftin77 of 14ers.com. I believe he's helping with LoJ.

See screenshot:

5750.PNG

I have now been up there 102 times and have looked at each point from the other and using the background landmarks just can't see how the western point could be higher. LiDAR also confirms that the eastern point is higher.
Scott Patterson

Return to Colorado Peaks