Familiar or unofficial names

Questions about how this site works or problems you are experiencing can be addressed here.

Familiar or unofficial names

Postby dmthorson » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:52 pm

If I am aware of a familiar or unofficial name for a summit listed only by its elevation, how do I suggest changing the listing to reflect the familiar name?
dmthorson

Re: Familiar or unofficial names

Postby John Kirk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Here are the rules for unofficial name inclusion:
https://listsofjohn.com/glossary#unoff

You can post here with the source for the name provided.

"Local" names, non-gov't websites, or hearsay is not considered sufficient.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby dmthorson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks, John. It looks like it probably does not meet the criteria.

I was thinking of Point 7758 near Evergreen in Jefferson County, Colorado.

When I moved about a quarter mile from there in 1962, the residents of the Hiwan Hills subdivision all referred to it as Indian Rock. This was before the property was sold and a residence built at its base. It was our playground.

I was a member of Alpine Rescue Team from 1964-69. Once or twice a year ART would schedule training there and also referred to it as Indian Rock. There may or may not be copies of ART training schedules or training announcements still extant, but it seems that would still fall short of the criteria.

I'm not being critical of the criteria for publishing unofficial names; I think they are sound. I am posting the details of this one example to this thread for whatever example it might provide to others as being insufficient.
dmthorson

Postby zdvickery » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 pm

A feature for users to suggest names might be nice. Users could see the names they prefer on their lists instead of the default ones. Users could also possibly up/down-vote existing suggestions to establish a site consensus on unofficial names.

I understand if implementing this sort of feature is not appealing!
zdvickery

Return to Site FAQ's