Map links

Questions about how this site works or problems you are experiencing can be addressed here.

Map links

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:37 am

Is there a way to denote a specific map layer in a link? The below doesn't work, but is there something along these lines?

https://listsofjohn.com/mapf?lat=39.9537&lon=-105.2992&z=14&d=y&d=r&MapTypeId=fstopo
RyanSchilling

Re: Map links

Postby John Kirk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:25 am

You probably found your answer before now, but the parameter is ‘t’ for maptype. ‘fs’ for forest service, ‘c’ for CalTopo, etc. So ‘t=fs’... You can see this in the url whenever you click the link to current map view, or refresh markers/choose member.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 am

I hadn't figured that out yet, so thanks!

I noticed different map options recently (ESRI in place of Google)... trying to get away from Google? I'll get used to it, but the interface feels weird at first (can't double right-click to zoom out, no peak tooltip upon hover)
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Yeah, keeping google as primary mapping source now would cost $400-$600 a month. The change for tooltips was motivated by use on mobile devices since hover is a PITA without a mouse. So the popup upon clicking was intended to be an improvement. I suppose I could keep mouseover behavior on PC and click behavior separate for mobile, but I thought I'd just keep it consistent. Hopefully it isn't that hard to get used to. Lots of work left to do on the other maps still...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:38 pm

This is unfortunate. Mouseover behavior on PC would be preferred. Also, the popup is nearly illegible.
Rabbit.png
Rabbit.png (59.15 KiB) Viewed 14994 times

This same policy change resulted in the demise of Gmap4, which I used for generating printed driving directions. Google Maps is far inferior to what Gmap4 offered. Does anyone else use a different mapping service or would adding "directions to here" be possible?
Brian Kalet

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Brian Kalet wrote:This is unfortunate. Also, the popup is nearly illegible.
The attachment Rabbit.png is no longer available

What browser are you using? Safari, IE, and Firefox show dark popups:
_.png
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:43 pm

I was using Chrome. Using Chrome on the machine I am using now, the popups now have a dark background.
Brian Kalet

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Brian Kalet wrote:I was using Chrome. Using Chrome on the machine I am using now, the popups now have a dark background.

I wonder if you viewed the map on Friday in the early afternoon, when I was making a change and the css wasn't quite right yet. Once viewed the first time, browsers tend to cache css and changes to it aren't picked up without a hard refresh. I added a parameter to the css link to force a reload if anyone else had this issue.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 am

Brian Kalet wrote: Does anyone else use a different mapping service or would adding "directions to here" be possible?

I added a link to google maps satellite (on mobile, there was already a directions link that uses the google maps app)for those who use google satellite imagery extensively, and this can also be used for google directions:
_.png
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Brian Kalet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:25 pm

The Google Satellite link is a good addition since the imagery is of significantly higher resolution than that of ESRI. However, it does not address my issue with generating printed driving directions. The primary issues I have with Google Maps are 1) the inability to toggle between a topo map and the Google Map and 2) the inability to effectively cut and paste the driving directions into a Word document. If you can address these issues, that would be great, but I completely understand if that is beyond the purview of this site.
Brian Kalet

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:47 pm

John Kirk wrote:Yeah, keeping google as primary mapping source now would cost $400-$600 a month.

Holy hell! Is that rate something that they recently changed on you?!

I was seeing the white popups early this week, but they're black now for me, too (Chrome & Opera). Looks great!

John Kirk wrote:I suppose I could keep mouseover behavior on PC and click behavior separate for mobile, but I thought I'd just keep it consistent.

If you don't mind maintaining the distinct behavior, count me as for it. The popup upon rollover is very convenient for scanning maps on a desktop.
RyanSchilling

Postby John Kirk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Google no longer offers maps for free as of June 2018. Small sites won’t meet the $200 credit per month threshold offered at present time, but LoJ traffic is (I should say was) triple this limit.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 pm

That's crazy -- I found this article about the changes:

http://geoawesomeness.com/developers-up ... rice-hike/
RyanSchilling

Postby Michael Thompson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 pm

I was wondering the same thing about google suddenly being removed from the site. I missed their announcement about pricing changes, that's absolutely ridiculous.

A real shame, because their combination of street maps, satellite, and terrian was pretty much unrivaled, especially when looking from a high level.
Michael Thompson

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:06 pm

I added mouseover behavior similar to how it used to work for the full-screen map (and will deploy to the rest eventually). Mobile devices use the press icon/popup method. Let me know if anyone experiences any issues.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Next

Return to Site FAQ's