McKean County, Pa. CHP

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

McKean County, Pa. CHP

Postby drdickie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

I just returned from climbing this CHP. I note a prominence of 0 in LOJ, but the peak clearly has rise on all four sides. I'm far from an expert in calculating prominence from topo maps, but his is clearly an error. Dick Oestreicher "drdickie"
drdickie

Re: McKean County, Pa. CHP

Postby KentonB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:33 pm

drdickie,

John Kirk may want to weigh in, but I did note if you zoom in on the high point (http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?lat=41.8839&lon=-78.2060&z=16&P=0), the summit is actually in "Potter" County just a tad to the southeast, therefore, the high point within McKean is along the northwestern ridgleline leading to the unnamed summit in Potter County... Hence the 0' prominence.
KentonB

Postby drdickie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I looked at the map again and I see your point. Perhaps the solution is to list the high point just over the county line labeled 2469 as a separate peak? dick Oestreicher
drdickie

Postby KentonB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:11 pm

drdickie wrote:Perhaps the solution is to list the high point just over the county line labeled 2469 as a separate peak?

John has pretty well-defined criteria for what is and is not a "peak" (See here: http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/glossary.html). I double-checked and Point 2469 is neither ranked nor named... So it wouldn't meet the criteria. I feel your pain though. I'm not much for high points, so "peaks" like this one only kind of mess up my lists... At the same time, I understand the motivation of those trying to attain State/County high points. Beggars can't be choosers. :-)
KentonB

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Generally, if a county HP is on the county line -- and the county line is not following a ridge crest -- it's going to be a 0' prominence peak. Connecticut's state HP is another good example.
RyanSchilling

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.