Trip Report - Imperial, CA highpoint 4/16/05

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Trip Report - Imperial, CA highpoint 4/16/05

Postby Layne Bracy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:58 pm

Blue Angels Peak, CA 4548’
Imperial County highpoint
RT approx 5 miles, 1350’ gain
“California County Summits”, Suttle

We used the directions to the TH and route description in Suttle’s book, as well as Roach’s trip report. After turning off Hwy 80 and then left on the old dirt road, we came to an intersection where there is a single-wide trailer, a metal shack, and some cars on the right. The correct way is to turn right at this living space. We chatted with the resident, who seemed a bit frazzled by the border crossers. Within another ½ mile we came to a pullout on the left, where we parked.

Amy, Kevin, my sister Becca and I walked up the road, admiring wildflowers and various cacti. We never saw the 3-way road junction or the signs mentioned in the book, so map and compass were helpful in choosing the correct forks. The map in the book shows the three roads to avoid that branch off the correct trail. The first to avoid branches left and drops into the valley before rising in the distance. The second branches right, heading up where an antennae is seen. The third branches right heading west while the trail turns east.

We followed the road to its eastern end and could now see the “boulder ready to roll” perched on a summit. A use trail skirts under this boulder to the right. After passing it, we hiked up to the ridge and then to the Smuggler benchmarks, where the register is located. According to Roach the highpoint is actually on the next outcrop to the south, so we visited that next, not finding the second register. We visited the next outcrops to the south, then dropped to the boundary fence and visited boundary monument 231. Suttle says the fence is 60 feet away from Mexico. If that is true we did not venture out of the USA. Blue Angels Peak does not have much prominence from its saddle with the next higher rock outcrops in Mexico.

We heard gunshots a few times in the distance and saw the promised litter, but saw no other hikers. We took over 3 hours to enjoy this hike in the hot desert sun. Border patrol was set up on I-8 nearby but waved us through.
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Tue May 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Your CA reports really have had me 'California Dreamin' - man this weather here lately has sucked - such is April in CO. I'm planning to finish CO counties before the end of summer. Keep in touch about your plans for your remaining CO HP's.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed May 04, 2005 9:48 am

My only plan currently is Bushnell this Saturday, weather permitting. John, it looks like we both need Black Mtn and the South Fork Four. I'll be interested in tackling these whenever road access opens up. I'm also planning to get Lavender Peak unless someone definitively rules it out as a possible Montezuma HP.

I could probably hike Saturdays May 21 or May 28(Amy's birthday - so she gets final say!), so if you think any of these would be accessible we could plan something.
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Wed May 04, 2005 10:09 am

Mineral County might be a go May 21. I'm planning to get the other three down there over Memorial Day Weekend - will be staying in Pagosa Springs as a base of operations. I'd like to do Lavender (with Hesperus) as well, probably combined with Vermilion over a weekend in July. I'll probably combine Black with Sweetwater County WY or the UT two-fer BM Eccentric some time in June.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Mineral County and other options

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu May 05, 2005 6:07 pm

I called the Ranger District in Creede today. The ranger's first response was, "that mountain is covered in snow." :shock: He said the road was open only about a mile north of Creede and he didn't think the mountain roads would be open all the way until July. :cry:

Now, taking that with a grain of salt, I'd prefer not to drive that far only to be turned back. Of course, the hike is 12 miles, so adding another 6 or so doesn't make it impossible, perhaps, but I'd still rather wait until later in the season.

So, John and/or others, anyone interested in a more local hike May 21st? I'm interested in trying

1)Meeker NE ridge(don't know how tricky the final traverse from Meeker Ridge to the summit might be but am willing to give it a go)

2)Atlantic + maybe Pacific + maybe Crystal

3)something else I haven't done
Layne Bracy

Postby Kevin Baker » Fri May 06, 2005 3:35 pm

Wish I could join you, Layne, but my BMS snow travel course on Pikes was rescheduled to that weekend.
Kevin Baker

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.