Most desired (or most intriguing) prominent peak

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Most desired (or most intriguing) prominent peak

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:29 pm

Of the peaks that show up on the prominence list, which holds the most allure for you?

If I had to limit myself to the top 50, I'd say Chair Mountain is the one I want the most. The difficult access, it's remarkable beauty, it's closeness to the Raggeds near Paonia, a classic scramble.... it all adds up to a "must-climb". What remains to be seen is whether I'll actually make the time for it this year. So much to do...

Of the next 50, Chalk Benchmark has my attention. I know nothing about this area -- I've never even seen a picture. It may be the 'unknown' factor alone that captures my interest, but nevertheless, I wonder what it's like in that corner of the San Juans.
RyanSchilling

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:22 am

Hard question to answer, since for the most part I've not seen the peaks I haven't climbed. But, I try never to let lack of information prevent me from forming a solid opinion on a subject. :)

Most intriguing is perhaps Ute Peak, since it is in the top 10 and is apparently off limits. I keep meaning to chat with my college roommate, whose wife is a member of the Navajo tribe, to see if there are any reciprocal tribal peakbagging agreements .....

Aside from that, I have interest in Mount Gunnison(most prominent in the Elks), Mount Powell(highest and most prominent in the Gores), and Mount Herard(above the sand dunes).

Which will I actually climb this year? Hopefully all that are also county highpoints and Mount Powell.
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:29 pm

Anything in the West Elks is alluring/intriguing to me (my favorite part of the state), although I have yet to make it out to the Gore Range proper. Still, there is a lot to choose from in the West Elks when it comes to prominence!
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:10 pm

8) Nice Emoticons!
I have driven by Chair Mt. and Mt. Gunnison several times in the past 6 months for work, tempted to climb rather than work of course, they both looked like very interesting goals, let me know when anyone is making an attempt on them.
I am going for Granite Peak, Mt. in Aug. anyone interested?

Thanks,

Dwight
DSunwall

Postby Erin Burr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Dwight, when in August are you heading up to do Granite?

Ute is one of the most troubling peaks on the list... Layne, let us know if you hear anything from your friend!

There's a lot of peaks in the top 100 that I'd love to get this year. It's great to have everyone's stats on this site so we can find potential partners.
Erin Burr

Postby DSunwall » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:09 pm

The email when someone posts on this thread is pretty useful.

Erin, I thought just August was close enough for now, if you can narrow it down further, (what works for you guys), let me know.

I was thinking that John should add this feature; choose a mountain and a list of who has climbed it would be displayed. 8)
DSunwall

Postby Kevin Baker » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:16 pm

Dwight:

I wish I could join you on Granite, but I already have 3 state hp trips planned with Borah in June, Mauna Kea in July, and Mt Washingtion (repeat so I can climb it instead of taking the sissy tour) in Sept. Good luck if you can get up there this summer!
Kevin Baker

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:25 am

DSunwall wrote:I was thinking that John should add this feature; choose a mountain and a list of who has climbed it would be displayed. 8)

I like your suggestion, Dwight. I'm not sure if the table structure I have will be able to reflect that just yet.

I might be in for Granite depending on how a data conversion (or employer conversion :? ) project goes at work this summer.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:45 pm

I got it to work after employing some strange methods:

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/allupdates.php

You can now see who's climbed each peak, and can view/submit pictures. More lists will be up as time goes on - right now it is just 13ers and 12ers. See Greenhorn Mtn for 12ers or North Arapaho Peak for 13ers for examples of picture layout.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:58 pm

I could not find either of those mountains (looking quickly through the lists), it did work however for N. Carbonite, good job!

More time tonight; did find them. This will be a useful feature.
DSunwall

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.