Washington, DC highpoint

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

Washington, DC highpoint

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Pete K(how do you pronounce that?)'s 14erworld report on the DC highpoint got me thinking. Shouldn't it be added to the state highpoint list? Here's my rationale:

We include non-counties on the county highpoint list where appropriate, with the idea that all land in the US(not including territories/possessions) should fall under a county-equivalent highpoint. Thus, the county highpointers include Louisiana parishes, Alaska burroughs, and independent cities such as Carson City, NV and many in Virginia as well as the District of Columbia. LOJ includes those exceptions in the western US.

Likewise, it makes sense to me to include DC as a state-equivalent when listing states.

Those 50-state completers who neglect DC will have that little bit of land not represented by their state highpoints. :shock:

Trivially yours, Layne
Layne Bracy

Postby petekrz » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm

Layne,

Thanks for reading the report.

To be honest with you, I was surprised to find out that it isn't listed on LoJ.

I only found out about it from a friend who has climbed/hiked about 40 state highpoints. He mentioned that this would be an easy option during my time in DC.

As for the pronunciation of my last name.....the first three letters sound like "kriz" and the rest is pretty easy.

Pete
petekrz

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.