3000' rule

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

3000' rule

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:32 pm

A couple questions/scenarios for those of you who abide by this rule:

1)I start my hike at 11000', summit 14er A, drop less than 3000' and then summit 14er B, then return to the trailhead. Did I satisfy the 3000' rule for A or B or neither? Do I get to choose? If I repeat the hike exactly the same way can I then claim both A and B?(Thinking of something like Grays/Torreys here.)

2)I start my hike at 8000', summit 14er A, drop less than 3000' and summit 14er B, then return to 8000'. Do I get to count A and B since I had 6000' net gain, or did I need to drop 3000' between the two peaks? (Thinking of something like Blanca/Little Bear, depending on where you park.)

I doubt I'll ever satisfy the rule myself for the Decalibron but am curious on people's interpretation!
Layne Bracy

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Layne,

I used to subscribe to your #2. I counted Challenger/KC and Crestone Needle/Humboldt that way. Since then, I've figured out which peaks I'd need to reclimb to satisfy the strictest interpretation of the 3K' rule. I still about 8 or so left.

Regarding #1, I'd say you could choose either of the 2 peaks as your 3K peak. When I did the Maroon Bells traverse, I said that Maroon peak was my 3K peak, and then I went back later and reclimbed North Maroon.
RyanSchilling

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks for the thoughts! The purpose of the 3000' rule, in my opinion, is so that high mountain roads do not make summitting too easy(driving to near the top of Pikes, Evans, etc.). Personally, I am in favor of allowing traverses as long as one starts 3000' below the lowest of the summits. (OK, this is Cave Dog's idea, not mine.) If the natural topography makes it easy to get two or more summits, I don't think we have to make it harder than nature does. Of course, it is all a game, so each person can make their own rules.
Layne Bracy

Postby RyanSchilling » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:13 pm

The only peaks I even think about the 3K rule on is the 14ers. Someday I do want to fill in those gaps and join the strict 3000' club. As for all other peaks, I have no rules... anything goes. :D If I can traverse and bag 5 or 6 summits in a day, they all count in my book!
RyanSchilling

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:26 pm

Layne:

As you know from our Buckskin climb, I hold to the 3K rule, as in 3K total gain. When I did Grays/Torreys, I counted both even though I didn't get 3K for Torreys. Of the 32 14'ers I have done, I did a traverse for Belford, Lincoln, Bross, Sunshine, and Torreys. Someday I'll probably climb them again seperately. I guess it is a personal preference. Some think 3K net is good enough. What I don't like is when people climb Evans from Summit Lake and count it or Sherman from the gate.
Kevin Baker

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.