The Big Quads - Quads with the Most P300 Peaks

Discuss geopolitical area highpoints, prominence, and similar lists.

The Big Quads - Quads with the Most P300 Peaks

Postby John Paul » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:04 pm

All that county talk on Alyson’s Saguache County congrats thread got me thinking about what quads have the most P300 peaks. I did a little searching and decided 30 peaks in a quad was a nice cut-off. I actually went through every state (except Alaska) and found 14 quads that fit that criteria.

Here is the list I came up with:
Springdale East - UT 43
Cabeza Prieta Peak - AZ 42
Gannett Peak - WY 42
Storm King Peak - CO 35
Wilson Mountain - AZ 34
The Guardian Angels - UT 34
Looneys Gap - TN, VA 34
Warbonnet Peak - ID 33
Temple of Sinawava - UT 33
Mitten Buttes - AZ 32
Slumgullion Pass - AZ 31
Rainbow Bridge - UT 31
Mount Goddard - CA 30
Big Snow Mountain - WA 30

Please let me know if I missed any or got a link wrong. Obviously, I didn't include AK because I could not find an easy way to extract the data from the Quad Maps. I have more data but didn't want to overwhelm folks with it. I live near a quad with 15 peaks and when I am in the middle of it I feel like I am surrounded by peaks. I can only try to imagine what it's like in the middle of these quads, peaks everywhere, right. Happy climbing, jp :-)
John Paul

Re: The Big Quads - Quads with the Most P300 Peaks

Postby JoeGrim » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Interesting. Thanks for compiling this, John Paul!
JoeGrim

Postby mikeofferman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 pm

I don't even have to look to know which quad has the most unranked peaks. Not sure the exact number, plus if I put down a number, it would be obsolete within minutes :rofl: ....
mikeofferman

Postby John Kirk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:41 pm

mikeofferman wrote:I don't even have to look to know which quad has the most unranked peaks. Not sure the exact number, plus if I put down a number, it would be obsolete within minutes :rofl: ....

Yeah, more to add as we speak :chair:

There's an obsolete thread on this here: http://listsofjohn.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=429&p=4712#p4712

For Alaska, I haven't yet designed a way to depict quad boundaries since there are so many different scales and it's not a grid in many areas. I decided listing the peaks first should be the priority. Keep in mind it's apples and oranges when quads are 1:63,360k scale. Talkeetna B6 Quad has 146 P300s. But it's 17 miles tall and 16 miles wide (272 sq mi). For comparison, Storm King CO quad is 8.6 tall and 6.8 wide (58.5 sq mi).
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Paul » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 am

John Kirk wrote:Try this out (you can also enter a custom value in the url for 'P':
500'
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/qcount.php?P=500
1000'
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/qcount.php?P=1000

300'
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... .php?P=300

Now that is pretty sweet. Thanks for referencing that 2012 thread. I've tried to go back and read through a lot of the older threads but that's one I missed. Looks like that list has changed a little with Cabeza, Looneys & Temple each adding 1 peak . I guess Rainbow and Mitten added some peaks to round it out to 14 quads with 30+ P300 peaks. It's also interesting that Temple, Springdale and Angels all border one another which makes me think that little area must have the highest concentration of peaks in the lower 48. In terms of AK you are right it wouldn't be comparing apples to apples if the quad sizes are different. Curious is that the case with the lower 48 quads - are they all the same 8.6:6.8? Also, wtf no LoJ ascents in Looneys Gap? Looking at the Sat maps it would be some serious bushwhacking but man that whole area has a lot of P300 peaks ready for some LoJ FAs lol. Thanks JK! jp
John Paul

Postby John Kirk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:00 am

John Paul wrote:
John Kirk wrote:Curious is that the case with the lower 48 quads - are they all the same 8.6:6.8?

Depends on Latitude, since a unit of Longitude gets narrower as you near the poles. 5.6 miles wide in northern Minnesota, 7.9 miles wide in southern Florida. Latitude is constant.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Finally finished the AK project... also came up with a quad map and boundaries. Talkeetna B-6 still comes out on top:
http://listsofjohn.com/akquad?q=101515

There are 30 other AK quads with over 100.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to Highpoints, Prominence & Etc.