More Awards/Stats

Leaders by Category

More Awards/Stats

Postby jmbrooks8 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am

John - Some ideas for more peak awards:

1) Frequency Distinction, # of distinct calendar days with summits (ranked, but add unranked checkbox). Provides quick view of member seasonal coverage (at least statistically). I see you already have this info in the menu system on an individual basis.

2) Risk-Taker or Soloer or Lone Adventurer, total # of ranked pks where you had the pk all to yourself (validated by no other member summit that day). Maybe encourages finding a partner. Obviously does not imply solo if with non-member friends.

3) Quad Traveler, similar to County Traveler award.

4) County & Quad Completer Awards, all states.
jmbrooks8

Re: More Awards/Stats

Postby John Kirk » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I like #2 and #3. For #4, it gets a little complicated, as the quad/county might have been mostly completed in a year other than this one. A career only view for those might work. I was actually planning to add the total quads completed to the Member Profile page once the whole US is listed, but it could also work as a stats award category. County Completions can be found from the main menu, but not as a count of all counties completed as I think you're implying. That calculation uses a lot of memory and takes a lot of time just for one state. Running all states at once would take over one minute. I'll have to think about building a stored procedure or daily calc dump to get that kind of data flowing smoothly.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DennisPoulin » Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm

John, I like how you have added the info about total peaks, total with 300' rise, total ascents, etc to the Home Page.

I have a few suggestions too. How about giving the logged in/logged out status on all pages. Once I log in, the program doesn't show my status. Some pages give me the option of logging in again and that confuses my simple brain.

Next, after I access a state like OR, I select Oregon Prominence and then Member Area. It displays tables with 100 most prominent and 1000'+ Prominence. How about adding a 300'+ Prominence table. The info currently appears under the County Summit, Member Area.

Third, from the Home Page, Stats Category Leaders there is an option for Multiple High Prominence peaks in a day. There is a drop down table for 1000', 2000', etc., but there is not one for 300'. I think some of the info shows up in 5+ Peaks in a day category.

Fourth, in the Contiguous US P2k list it shows a table ranking all members by number climbed. Can you do this for US P1k's? Maybe enhancing the P2k page to include some P1k info would be great. Now the P1k info is confined to each state and each climber's personal stats.

You do a great job. Keep up the good work.

Dennis
DennisPoulin

Postby John Kirk » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 pm

DennisPoulin wrote:I have a few suggestions too. How about giving the logged in/logged out status on all pages. Once I log in, the program doesn't show my status. Some pages give me the option of logging in again.

Not sure which pages would require logging in again except the forum here or to download GPX, TOPO!, or POI files. The reason for the separate forum login is they are intentionally separate components. There are a lot of malicious attacks on phpbb boards (such as this one) that spam, corrupt and compromise data, so I have separate login processes. Showing the status would require me to switch all pages to php, while a good portion of them are currently not, so it would be a long-term project. For the same reason, the login doesn't carry over to pages outside the Member update areas, so that is the reason for a separate login for the GPX, TOPO!, or POI files.

DennisPoulin wrote:Next, after I access a state like OR, I select Oregon Prominence and then Member Area. It displays tables with 100 most prominent and 1000'+ Prominence. How about adding a 300'+ Prominence table. The info currently appears under the County Summit, Member Area.

Too many records at a time for good server performance - it needs to be separated (in this case either by county or by elevation increment).

DennisPoulin wrote:Third, from the Home Page, Stats Category Leaders there is an option for Multiple High Prominence peaks in a day. There is a drop down table for 1000', 2000', etc., but there is not one for 300'. I think some of the info shows up in 5+ Peaks in a day category.

Again, too many records if there isn't a threshold above a certain amount (5 is the minimum in this case). I alone have done 5+ 125 times.

DennisPoulin wrote:Fourth, in the Contiguous US P2k list it shows a table ranking all members by number climbed. Can you do this for US P1k's? Maybe enhancing the P2k page to include some P1k info would be great. Now the P1k info is confined to each state and each climber's personal stats.

I added the 1k tally on the prominence index - thanks for the suggestion.

DennisPoulin wrote:You do a great job. Keep up the good work.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu May 27, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for the new enhancements John! I particularly like the Quad Traveler, Multiple Quads in a day could be a cool one too.

I noticed something on the County Traveler, if a peak is in 2 counties neither registers. For example, I climbed Castle last Sunday but "Gunnison" and "Pitkin" counties do not show up for me as having been visited. Not sure if that is intentional, or if its a programming thing.
MikeRodenak

Postby John Kirk » Thu May 27, 2010 10:56 am

MikeRodenak wrote:
I noticed something on the County Traveler, if a peak is in 2 counties neither registers. For example, I climbed Castle last Sunday but "Gunnison" and "Pitkin" counties do not show up for me as having been visited. Not sure if that is intentional, or if its a programming thing.

Thanks-
I forgot to put repeats in the query.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Sun May 30, 2010 11:02 pm

How about 5+ quads in a day
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Mon May 31, 2010 10:04 am

Al Sandorff wrote:How about 5+ quads in a day

As in visited (at least one peak)?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Mon May 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Could also have one for 5+ counties visited in a day as well, even 5+ States if anyone actually qualifies for that one.
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 am

Al Sandorff wrote:Yes, that was what I was thinking.

Ok - here's the 5+ quads visited (at least one p300) in a day:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/5qplus.php

Much smaller set of peaksters than the 5+ peaks crowd. When I did nine, I wasn't really aware of it. I was aware of fully completing 7 quads (all peaks in all seven quads) in a day back in February though.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RichAllen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:43 pm

I just recently noticed the "Solo Ascent" category. I am in a gray area there...I tend to climb with only my dog most of the time, who is a member here, but not much help in risky situations :) Maybe I need to dump her so I can get credit for more solo ascents (whoa, easy girl, just kidding, put the teeth away).
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby Al Sandorff » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I thought of you Rich when I saw that category was created. I see Bob Packard hit 6 counties in one day, I bet that list is even smaller than the 5+ quads. John's got to be getting sick of my programming requests by now though :chair:
Al Sandorff

Postby RichAllen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Al, I am flattered you thought of me :-D I don't want it changed, just known lol
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby John Kirk » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 am

RichAllen wrote:I tend to climb with only my dog most of the time, who is a member here, but not much help in risky situations :)

Need to show that dog how to belay (and gain 100lbs.) :shock:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RichAllen » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

John, she's pretty hefty now lol. People joke about my chubby dog,until I invite them out for a long day and she hauls her big canine butt faster and longer than they do. Now the belay class...that's worth looking into...
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Next

Return to LOJ Member Stats