LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Leaders by Category

Re: LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Postby AdamMcFarren » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 am

John Kirk wrote:I thought the same thing, but it hurts you too, so really the effect is neutral unless your buddies would do more peaks than you on average.

In this case, I think most of my outings w/ Pete and Kevin are lowering their average # of peaks. So maybe I am doing more good for my team than I suspect.

-adam
AdamMcFarren

Postby RichAllen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

What can I say about Lizibelle? My dog rocks :rock: And she has a proven track record..look at her previous years! And her owner (grudgingly) picks up her poo...somehow I doubt everyone on here is using a WAG bag :)
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am

Knowing these teams are more/less randomly generated, it still bothers me to currently be in the bottom half :oops: - didn't see that coming.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 pm

John Kirk wrote:Knowing these teams are more/less randomly generated, it still bothers me to currently be in the bottom half :oops: - didn't see that coming.

Don't feel bad, I have Teresa on my team and we are rock bottom. Mostly high peaks really hurts, this is mostly a bottom feeder contest. :-P don't take that too badly, its all good fun. Since Hawaii is not done yet, I won't be helping much in the next few weeks. work assignment.
DSunwall

Postby RichAllen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Maybe we should just scrap the idea? I don't feel like worrying whether or not someone on my team has climbed a peak before I go out for the weekend...I don't want this to become a job. In fact, if someone else wants to play, you can remove me and Lizibelle from our respective teams. I am apathetic about the idea at best.
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm

DSunwall wrote:
John Kirk wrote:Since Hawaii is not done yet, I won't be helping much in the next few weeks. work assignment.

I can add any you manage to get - let me know. What a crappy job, sending you to a place like Hawaii...

Speaking of bottom feeding, looks like you got down low last weekend:
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/mapasc ... 2010-01-24

I think your team is totaling low due to there being 4 members who aren't active in the winter.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm

RichAllen wrote:Maybe we should just scrap the idea? I don't feel like worrying whether or not someone on my team has climbed a peak before I go out for the weekend...I don't want this to become a job. In fact, if someone else wants to play, you can remove me and Lizibelle from our respective teams. I am apathetic about the idea at best.

Can do. If there were another view that totals all peaks (very easy to build) regardless of repeats would it make a difference in your desire to be included?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:42 pm

yep, a cruise around Boulder county, kind of fun actually.

I don't understand this unique peak thing, why shouldn't a peak climbed by 2 same team members count as 2 peaks? It might generate a little more team spirit if that was the case.
DSunwall

Postby RichAllen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 pm

John Kirk wrote:
RichAllen wrote:Maybe we should just scrap the idea? I don't feel like worrying whether or not someone on my team has climbed a peak before I go out for the weekend...I don't want this to become a job. In fact, if someone else wants to play, you can remove me and Lizibelle from our respective teams. I am apathetic about the idea at best.

Can do. If there were another view that totals all peaks (very easy to build) regardless of repeats would it make a difference in your desire to be included?

I would do that. Bottom line for me is that I just want to climb.
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Maybe now would be a good time to evaluate the experiment - what should the setup for teams be like, what kind of things should be tracked, etc. I think I'll put up a survey.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TeresaGergen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I agree with Dwight and Rich. I think it could be quite interesting to see how it comes out, just for the sake of curiosity, but I too just want to climb -- what, and with whom, I want to.
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Here is a quick survey, where you can vote on participation, how teams are created, what stats are compiled, and any other comments you'd like to add:
(link removed)

Thanks in advance for your input.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:53 pm

I posted my survey response, I think in general its a good fun idea. Right now its just early - not everyone climbs that much in winter. I did 150 peaks last year with 300' prom, but 140 of those were between April and November. It will pick up when the snow melts!

It might be fun to add a couple of more categories like total prominence and first ascents, and also to count every ascent within a team instead of just the first one. That way there is more sense of team - teammates could climb together and not get penalized.
MikeRodenak

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 pm

DSunwall wrote:I don't understand this unique peak thing, why shouldn't a peak climbed by 2 same team members count as 2 peaks? It might generate a little more team spirit if that was the case.

That would best benefit those teams where the members actually hike together. I'm not going to dump my hiking partner of four years to hike with a bunch of folks I don't know, who probably have very different lists/goals than I do, just because they happen to be on my team. But, I do see your point. The best case scenario would be if we were allowed to choose our teams from the beginning, so we could be grouped with the people we're most likely to hike with, and then to allow each unique summit of a peak to be counted.

DSunwall wrote:Mostly high peaks really hurts, this is mostly a bottom feeder contest.

I personally have not changed my peak-bagging schedule at all this year, in order to satisfy this contest. Since I'm not training for any "big peaks" this spring, like I have in past years (Rainier, Orizaba, etc.) I'm putting off the (unranked) 14ers and 13ers on my schedule till the summer, before I head to California for some high peaks. No sense wasting all that acclimatization now, when there are plenty of low, fun - and often extremely challenging, I don't care *how* low they are - peaks to climb! The rough terrain, lack of trails, lack of beta, and "access issues" - like dogs, houses, barbed wire, gun-toting ATVers, threatening hunters (I paid seven thousand dollars to hunt here - hike somewhere else!), not to mention those Texas long-horn bulls - often make up for the altitude. After this week, where I didn't even hit a 9er, my quads are still screaming. So... here's to the bottom feeders! A lowly title, perhaps, but one I'm proud of :-)
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby DSunwall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Susan,

I bottom feed myself, I shouldn't have used that term, I feel real bad about that now, apologies to everyone, I'm not sure why that term came to mind. :oops:
I also understand the difficulties involved in low peaks, but...... you have to admit, it is easier to get higher quantities of low peaks than high peaks in most cases. It would be difficult to equalize that somehow in a contest, other than average height. Steve House said "Mountaineering is too complex to be squeezed into a competition." I think we all realize the reality of that; but this contest is pretty harmless, nobody is going to take it too seriously, most of us will just do what we would do without the contest.
DSunwall

PreviousNext

Return to LOJ Member Stats