LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Leaders by Category

Re: LoJ 2010 Peak Battle

Postby MikeRodenak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Sounds fun! Interesting groups, should be some nice diversity in our team (team 4) as a lot of us are focusing on different "lists" than each other, should help us "divide and conquer" so to speak!

I tend to focus on skiing more in the winter months, though, so its usually Mid-April before you see my stats start to climb so don't fret team 4... last year I only did 8 ranked before the lifts shut down, but still got to 150 on the year. Maybe I will have to start hitting some local county points in the afternoons after skiing in the mornings :-D
MikeRodenak

Postby Al Sandorff » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm

"The main impetus is to get more of the unexplored peaks in the database explored/photographed/documented."

Perhaps we should consider counting unranked peaks for this as well, especially if they were previously unclimbed. Also, should other ranked unclimbed peaks be counted heavier than a ranked peak that has been claimed by 50 LOJ members? Perhaps previously unclimbed peaks should count more heavily in Colorado where LOJ peakbagging is more active, than in other states where a much higher % of the total peaks are LOJ unclimbed, could also use county or quad instead of state for this.
For example (.5 x unranked + 1 x ranked) x if previously unclimbed (total peaks in region/unclimbed peaks in region)
where the ".5" is the variable for the weight of unranked/ranked ratio that could be decided, I just used .5 as an example.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby RichAllen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 pm

It cracks me up that MY DOG, Lizibelle (no, I didn't name her) is on a team. So whenever I climb, I am probably helping out another team because she is almost always with me.

Fun idea, but I don't think it will change my climbing behavior. Wish this had been going on when I was able to climb more often. Any way to show previous years?
Rich Allen
RichAllen

Postby tracyfoutz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 pm

This should be a fun one to watch over the next several months. Go Team 7! To those of you on the other teams...you don't know how much my wife is helping you right now. She is tying to convince me that I should hold off on hiking any more peaks until my my 1,100 square foot room addition is done. That's one of the reasons I only got 2 peaks yesterday instead of 5 :x .

Once I get the final inspection on my house - look out :-P .

I can hear future conversations already:
Wife: Where are u going?
Me: To check on some building materials across town and get some exercise.
Wife: Oh, so you're going to bag a peak.
Me: I'm helping out my team.
Wife: What team?
Me: Team 7, my 'exercise' team.
Wife: Who are they, why haven't you mentioned them before, and how do you help them out?
Me: Man that's a lot of questions. Suffice it to say, I have a commitment to stay active and get some exercise and that commitment extends to 9 other people who I am teammates with.
Wife: Am I going to get to meet your "teammates" that you exercise with?
Me: I don't exercise "with" them or it doesn't count.
Wife: Huh?
Me: We exercise separately and get more points that way.
Wife: Never mind. :roll: Sorry I asked. When are you going to have our room addition done :evil: ?
Last edited by tracyfoutz on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracyfoutz

Postby John Kirk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 pm

tracyfoutz wrote:Wife: Am I going to get to meet your "teammates" that you exercise with?
Me: I don't exercise "with" them or it doesn't count.
Wife: Huh?

I have to admit that explaining it to an outsider puts things in perspective :disturbed:. Best way to put it is "How many unique peaks did your team do"? I might build in some other measures for the same teams, but not too many, or I might not influence LoJ behavior as much as I'd like :twisted:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Sarah Simon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh, wow, I just now stumbled upon this Peak Battle thread. How fun!

Unfortunately, I now realize that I have already (quite unknowingly) "aided and abetted" members of competitive teams in this contest in 2010. :tongue:

:twisted: On future outtings with competitors, I may need to defend the summit more vigorously. :chair:
Sarah Simon

Postby AdamMcFarren » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Dang, just saw this thread. Had I known PeteK and KevinB were on different teams I wouldn't have helped them up South Sheeprock yesterday! And now I'll have to coordinate w/ ChrisO so we're both not doing the same peaks (on the same day, no less).

I'll have to carefully consider who I help up those technical peaks from now on.

Can I just say it's amazing to be on a team with Gerry Roach?

I think Team 3 has a secret weapon w/ Luke's move to Maine.

-adam
AdamMcFarren

Postby lukePlumley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

I knew I moved here for a reason!!!! And don't be discouraged by my early 2010 efforts. :please:
lukePlumley

Postby Al Sandorff » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I thought the same thing when I saw I was teammed with Gerry too, now if I can only get him to tell me what he thinks is the best way up Mount Grant.
Al Sandorff

Postby TeresaGergen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm

If you climb the same peak with someone on a different team, then each team gets one point, right?

So, Adam, if you help your friend who is on a different team with a technical peak, you're probably actually doing your own team a favor, since otherwise your friend might be off climbing a whole string of lower peaks in the time it would take you to lead us up one hard one. :-D

Strategists: it might make more sense to find ways to "help" your competition only get a smaller number of peaks by climbing with them sometimes, rather than leaving them to their own devices.

Do I understand the rules correctly, that if someone on my team climbs a peak in January, and I climb it next Dec, my team still only gets one point? Or does it only not count if two people on the same team climb the same peak on the same day? But coming up with the team composition didn't take any restriction like that from last year's climbs into account?
TeresaGergen

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 pm

TeresaGergen wrote:
So, Adam, if you help your friend who is on a different team with a technical peak, you're probably actually doing your own team a favor, since otherwise your friend might be off climbing a whole string of lower peaks in the time it would take you to lead us up one hard one. :-D

I thought the same thing, but it hurts you too, so really the effect is neutral unless your buddies would do more peaks than you on average.
TeresaGergen wrote:Do I understand the rules correctly, that if someone on my team climbs a peak in January, and I climb it next Dec, my team still only gets one point? Or does it only not count if two people on the same team climb the same peak on the same day? But coming up with the team composition didn't take any restriction like that from last year's climbs into account?

Peaks can only count once a year for a team, so it will only count once whether it is a bunch of folks the same day or many spread out. The team composition didn't take that into account - I only judged by how many peaks are being done (time available). I would have structured it based on distinct peaks in a team if I thought this was the only potential "game", though there are others that may come about. Here's the apples to apples from last year (Distinct summits in each team):
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... php?y=2009
You can change 2009 to any other year manually in the url. If you want to drill down, you'll need to add y=2009 or y=xxxx for whatever year on each drilldown page.
Before we state which team assignment method is "fair", note that the second lowest performing team last year is now the best, and the lowest performing is right in the middle now. There area lots of other variables at play (like some members who may not have logged all their peaks last year, new states now added, members who may not be logging back in again, etc.) so it is probably not all that material.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Deleted User wrote:Dang I wanna play but I'm not a top 80 :cry:

Looks like 4 peaks last year?

I guess you're planning on a lot more than 2009?

I can create a queue for additional member assignment - probably should always go to last place team - or does anyone have thoughts on this?
Also, there are probably some people who might want to opt out, and some who might want to be "traded" :shh:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:24 pm

John Kirk wrote:I can create a queue for additional member assignment - probably should always go to last place team - or does anyone have thoughts on this? Also, there are probably some people who might want to opt out, and some who might want to be "traded" :shh:

If Team 1 approves, I would consider pulling Lizibelle and replacing her with ____. After all, she *does* have an unfair advantage, with the four paws versus two boots thing. Besides, she poops all over the place, a blatant LNT violation. I can't speak for ____ in that regard, but at least he's shown some interest in the game. We haven't heard so much as a "woof" out of Lizibelle. How do we know she's serious? Does she really want this? Maybe a week-long "peak-off" in is order, and the best man (or beast) takes his (or her) place on Team 1.
So much to climb - so little time!
susanjoypaul

Postby MikeRodenak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Look out world! I am up to 4 peaks this year, that's twice what I did last January :tongue:
MikeRodenak

Postby John Kirk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
John Kirk wrote:Maybe a week-long "peak-off" in is order, and the best man (or beast) takes his (or her) place on Team 1.

Funny idea. Be aware that there is a 4 peak loss involved (a 5x runrate going forward), and team 1 looks like it needs some help rather than discarding a key player :-P . Lizibelle is practically outperforming 4th place on my team, and has a stomach for a few tough access peaks.
Lizibelle
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

PreviousNext

Return to LOJ Member Stats