Culebra Range and Sangre De Cristo Question

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Culebra Range and Sangre De Cristo Question

Postby Swithich » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm

How much of the Culebra Range is actually located on public land (or even fee based open entry)? From looking at the map it looks like not much, but I figure this area is pretty well known. Although a complete traverse is not possible (since the Taylor Ranch is in the middle) it would be an awesome to do the range in two pieces (I'm counting the whole range as 12931 to Napolean peak).

I'd just like to know how far if possible can I hike on this ridgeline?

-Swithich
Swithich

Re: Culebra Range and Sangre De Cristo Question

Postby MikeRodenak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I have done Beaubien to Purgatoire on 3 separate trips through the Cielo Vista Ranch (new name for Taylor Ranch). The trips were a total of $500.

I think the public stretch is the area from Napoleon to Maxwell. (actually I think its still public north of Napoleon for a stretch)

Maxwell to Whiskey Pass is private but not on Taylor Ranch and I have no contact for that ranch, and have not heard of anyone successfully gaining legal access through it, though just because I never heard it happening doesn't mean its not possible.

South of Purgatoire I am not sure how much farther the Cielo Vista Ranch goes, my primary interest in 13ers so I never really investigated the 12ers south of Purgatoire, others on this site may have more information though.
MikeRodenak

Postby kirkmallory » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 pm

According to a map I was given prior to my July 2005 trip, there is a short distance where the Cielo Vista Ranch borders the New Mexico state line, which includes State Line Peak. The eastern boundary goes north from there along the summits of State Line Peak, UN 11,820, and all the ranked peaks along the range crest all the way to De Anza Peak. According to the map, the northern boundary extends west in a straight line from De Anza's summit. The only ranked peak between NM & Napolean on the range crest that is not either accessible from the Cielo Vista Ranch or the San Isabel National Forest is Mariquita, which is just a short distance south of Mt. Maxwell (the southern end of the NF boundary).

For that July 2005 trip (a long July 4th weekend that cost $400 for 4 days), they let us in a southern gate, from where we were able to drive high roads that led between State Line Peak & UN 11,820. I haven't heard of them allowing access to that area since.
kirkmallory

Postby Swithich » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks. I wasn't aware the ranch went all the way to the NM border (or that far north for that matter).

-Swithich
Swithich

Return to US Mountains