beehive butte

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

beehive butte

Postby shanahan96 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm

beehive butte on the knoll quad in utah is listed as a 5.x peak. it's actually a 4th-class peak.

is there a way to update a peak's YDS if a ranking is already in place.
examples: updating the "x" in a 5.x peak, or if one discovers an easier route on a mountain.

jamie
shanahan96

Re: beehive butte

Postby John Kirk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Interesting - is there a weakness on the north side? I couldn't find a way up it where I would be ok without a belay...

Let me add something to the page to allow updates to a rating if the rating is 5.x...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby shanahan96 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm

yeah, i started from the north side and worked my way around towards the northwest corner to find a funky 4th class section through the difficulties.

jamie
shanahan96

Postby rat » Tue May 01, 2012 5:44 pm

beehive butte is most easily done from east. it goes at 5.9, with a somewhat run out first pitch. no x factor that we saw. we got first ascent some years back.
diedrich, calhoun, dickson, pitas. you may notice these names associated with various fairly remote and, in many cases, previously unclimbed towers, and new lines on some (jacob's chair, 2nd. ascent, new dihedral route;" critters in the gallery"). eric's unpublished desert rock book was to include a chapter "the cutler towers of hite", which we would have written.

rat
rat

Postby John Kirk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 pm

There have recently been a number of individuals (very capable leaders) who have reported there is no way this goes 4th class, or even easy 5th, consistent with the last post indicating the FA and easiest route goes 5.9. The rating has changed back to 5.x.

Jamie - are you sure this is the same Beehive?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 am

We established what appears to be the easiest route at 5.8R, dubbed "Honeypot" by dhgold. The report

I wonder if this small feature to the northeast of Beehive Butte that resembles a beehive is what has the 4th class route:

IMG_8401.jpg
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to US Mountains