Quick Beta Question.

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Quick Beta Question.

Postby Swithich » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 am

The high point of the Sandia Mountains is the touristy overlook just south of the communication towers correct? Looking at the map (and at the crest) it appears to the north of the communications towers there could be a higher point, but it is listed here as being at the standard overlook.

Can anyone vouch for this?

Sorry if this is a bit unclear, but I assume many people are familiar with this location and can just give me a quick definitive yes or no.

Swithich
Swithich

Re: Quick Beta Question.

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:10 pm

the Sandia Crest is the point N of the crest house and S of the towers. There is a concrete walkway and viewing area there. The Sandia Wilderness HP is just north of the comm towers. It is not on the main crest trail but there is an old overgrown trail that goes to it.
davebobk47

Postby Swithich » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm

I just wanted to make sure that the Crest was indeed the high point. I guess the high point is not technically part of the wilderness (since roads are not allowed in wildernesses), but I just want to make sure I get the correct summit.

I think I'm okay because the north summit and the com. towers sit a bit lower. It is hard to tell when you are standing there though.

-Swithich
Swithich

Postby davebobk47 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:47 am

Yeah it is a bit hard to find the true highpoint up there especially with all the man-made changes and the fact that La Luz comes out on the south end of the Crest House. Of course many tourists are under the impression that the top of the tram is the summit even though it is a full 300 feet lower.
davebobk47

Return to US Mountains