Continental Divide Peaks Area Complete!

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Postby John Prater » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:25 pm

Clearly I have too much time on my hands. Pt 11174 on the Mount Ethel quad.
John Prater

Postby John Kirk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:52 pm

Got it. Please continue to inform if you find anything else - too much time on our hands is a good thing.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Mike Garratt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:52 pm

On the CO CD list
We have Bear Mtn at 9845' on the list, but the peak just to the east, Diamond Peak, is skipped because the CD does not go over its very summit.
Still the lesser summit that does lie on the CD does have a 300' drop; so likely it needs ot be included.
Mike Garratt

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:49 pm

mikegarratt wrote:On the CO CD list
We have Bear Mtn at 9845' on the list, but the peak just to the east, Diamond Peak, is skipped because the CD does not go over its very summit.
Still the lesser summit that does lie on the CD does have a 300' drop; so likely it needs ot be included.

Point 9,330 was my interpretation of the closest ranked peak on the divide in that area. Agreed, the Diamond 'massif' deserves some credit, but I used a miniumum 300' prominence stand-alone criteria with the additional requirement that the summit should exist on the actual divide line to list a peak. I'll admit, the idea/method wasn't fully thought out and disclosed with others before I became engrossed in it :? .
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Point 11,855'

Postby John Kirk » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:33 am

While plotting out the Colorado 11ers in TOPO!, I spotted 11,855 just north of Chama Peak. I added it to the database (checked as complete for Mike Garratt). On a sidebar, the 11ers project has been interesting thus far in that I've found 6 ranked peaks not listed on Bob Martin's list. Approaching finality with the 11ers list will take quite a bit of additional work.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

For the suggestion box

Postby Layne Bracy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:56 pm

John: Now that you have got the county maps looking good, I wonder if something similar might be done with the Divide Peaks. This is a group that would also lend itself well to graphical representation.

Ideally, it would allow people to see the "chains" of divide peaks they have done and which peaks they need to extend or join their chains together. For example, I noted today that getting the 2 12ers west of Berthoud Pass would allow me to connect my divide peaks in the Golden Bear-Pettingell mini-chain with those in the Cupid-Argentine chain.

There may be too many peaks to put the names on the map. I envision something like triangles, dots or circles to represent peaks. These would be connected by a line representing the divide itself. When a peak is completed, the peak symbol is filled in or changes colors. When neighboring ranked peaks are completed, the intervening line also changes color. Or something like that....

If this doesn't draw in the crowds then I don't know what will! :)
Layne
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:29 am

That's a really attractive prospect Layne. I'll get around to it at some point in the coming months. For now, I'm refining the CO 11ers list. That should be done by February I imagine.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:11 pm

Sounds good! I'll be looking forward to the 11ers list.
Layne Bracy

Previous

Return to US Mountains