Continental Divide Peaks Area Complete!

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Continental Divide Peaks Area Complete!

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:27 pm

I have completed the work for the first two states (CO and NM) of peaks with 300' of prominence on the Continental Divide. These lists are available for members to track their progress on here:

Peaks on the Continental Divide

There may be some minor revisions to the list over time, and obviously ranking won't happen until all peaks are included (although CO's centennials listed are already top in the order with Gannett Peak in Wyoming being next). Hopefully the other three states won't take too long. I'll update as each one is completed and added.
Last edited by John Kirk on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Mike Garratt » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Reviewed the list.
I beleive I have done all above 11000 feet.
I did find 1 error.
Peak 11245 on Elwood Pass Quad should be 11300.
The point to the SE between 11245 and Silver pass is higher with two closed contours.
Mike Garratt

Thanks

Postby John Kirk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:08 pm

Thanks for the correction Mike, I have updated the list. Only five left in CO - wow, that's impressive.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Layne Bracy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:33 pm

I'm curious as to why Pt 12585 (next to Loveland Pass) isn't on the divide. I note that the topozone map shows the divide coming near the summit but not right to it. Is there a little false summit just north of 12585?
Layne Bracy

Postby John Kirk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:53 pm

LayneBracy wrote:I'm curious as to why Pt 12585 (next to Loveland Pass) isn't on the divide. I note that the topozone map shows the divide coming near the summit but not right to it. Is there a little false summit just north of 12585?

There was no false summit that was apparent to me at the time I hiked it. I think the reasoning is that the couloirs directly underneath the north slopes of the summit here still drain to the south side of Loveland Pass, and ultimately, in theory at least, to the Gulf of California. There are probably a dozen instances like this I left out. Mount Alice was added back in after Ryan mentioned that the high point was actually further west from the eastern ridge than the map indicates, and more near where the Divide line is in theory. Referencing maps is definitely not a flawless way to create these lists, as is evidenced especially in county highpointing.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Continental Peaks List Complete

Postby John Kirk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:27 pm

There will probably be some revisions, but, the list is complete based on my first round of interpolation (I will be looking at it again over time). There are as of now 2 14ers, 99 13ers, 120 12ers, 38 11ers, 52 10ers, 79 9ers, 137 8ers, 66 7ers, 19 6ers, 9 5ers, and 1 4er :oops: . 622 Peaks...Enjoy!
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Mike Garratt » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:47 pm

Your lists points up a well known 14er trivia question.
Only two of the 54 CO 14ers lie on the CD.
Grazentorries!

BTW looking at the CO CD list it appears you may have missed Peak 9296 east of Muddy Pass on the Lake Agnes quad.

This area is a CD problem area to visit as it is one of the few areas where the CD has peaks but it is all private land.

There is a CO prominent point there as well, Bear Mtn. , which falls in two counties.

I am trying out how to get to that one. It is the only point in Grand county I have not been to.

Mike
Mike Garratt

Postby John Kirk » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:38 pm

9296 has been added - thanks again Mike. Grand County has recently captured my interest after driving from Berthoud Pass to Steamboat (not the fastest route, but the way I went anyway). Whiteley Peak was definitely calling my name. I browsed through a couple books this last weekend that I didn't opt to buy - One was Grand County Hikes and the other was the Colorado CDT. I didn't look at this area in either book, but it is likely not part of them. How far from the divide is the CDT from Bear (best guess)?
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Mike Garratt » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:50 am

Actually I do not know where the CDT goes through that part of CO.
I know it goes down the top of the Zirkels for quite a ways to the west and crosses Willow Creek Pass to the east of the area we are talking about.
I would be interested to learn what your book says.

Whitely is a tough one to climb now.
I climbed it from the west twice from the highway.
The USFS map shows the top as BLM and the road along the highway as private.
The ranch that borders highway did not used to be posted but it changed hands afew years ago from an old timer to someone new who posted both approachs I used.
This now means a long approach from the east from FS land from up near Chimney Rock.

Mike
Mike Garratt

Postby DSunwall » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:03 pm

I have the entire CDT as a route downloaded from NG Topo site. Looks like Bear is about 2.3 miles straight south of the CDT. From Muddy Pass the trail heads NE following Grizzly Creek all the way to just NW of West Arapaho Reservoir.
DSunwall

Postby Mike Garratt » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:28 pm

Yes, It is the correct Bear Mtn.
And Yes, it appears the CD goes down the highway because the CD is on private land on that stretch.
Mike Garratt

Postby John Prater » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:58 pm

Hmm, looks like Pt 12018 aka "The Electrode" on the Mount Richthofen quad is missing from the list.
John Prater

Thanks

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:50 pm

Yes, "The Electrode" was missing. It is included now.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Prater » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:00 pm

Pt 12300 aka "Quarter to 5 Peak" on the Monarch Lake quad is also missing.

I was just browsing through a copy of Ron Ruhoff's book "Colorado's Continental Divide: A Hiking and Backpacking Guide" at the library today. Interesting section on the folks he knew of that had hiked the Divide through Colorado (as of the 1989 publication). Amazing that Bob Melzer hiked the Divide from Wyoming to New Mexico in 1936 at the age of 8! Also, the book includes a list of peaks and other features along the Divide. Interesting book that I hadn't seen before.
John Prater

Postby John Kirk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:23 am

Added that one too. I'll have to check that book out - sounds like a good read.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Next

Return to US Mountains