Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak)?

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak)?

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:07 pm

From what I've read, I'm not a fan of the mechanisms behind what led to this new name, but nevertheless, Squaw Peak was officially renamed by the USGS in 2008. Time to swap Squaw with its current alternate name? (Has this been discussed here already? Didn't come up w/ anything in the forum search.)

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic ... _FID:11741
RyanSchilling

Re: Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak)?

Postby John Kirk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:00 pm

More people are looking at the map than the GNIS database entry, so IMO until the map changes, the new name should be the alternate.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby AzScott » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Squaw Peak was officially renamed 'Piestewa Peak' on April 17, 2003, but the US Board of Geographic Names mandates a 5-year waiting period before a new name becomes recognized. Any map printed after 2008 does carry the new name. Right or wrong, many locals still refer to the summit as "Squaw Peak."
Mountains complement desert as desert complements city, as wilderness complements and completes civilization. - Ed Abbey
AzScott

Postby EricNoel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:04 pm

The five year rule is actually that the person something was named after has to have been dead for 5 years rather than that the any old geographic name will not be recognized by the USBGN for five years. Name something Pyramid Peak and it can be recognized right away but Ted Kennedy Mtn would have to wait (almost) five more years. For those who don't know, Lori Piestewa was a soldier killed during the first week of the Iraq war and is apparently the first Native American woman to die in combat and she was the first woman to die during the Iraq war.

My parents live right by Squaw Peak in PHX. My unscientific opinion was that for several years people still continued to call it Squaw Peak, mostly just out of habit. But at this point Piestewa Peak seems to have gained traction and a lot of people now use the new name. Since this is basically a local exercise hill, knowledge of the peak and naming is wide-spread among the general public. I believe the signage has now been changed, though I won't swear to it.
EricNoel

Postby John Kirk » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 am

John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby AzScott » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 am

Eric, you are correct, the signage has changed in the park.
Mountains complement desert as desert complements city, as wilderness complements and completes civilization. - Ed Abbey
AzScott

Postby TWorth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Another one:

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=4708
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=17491

Interestingly, no name is printed on the 7.5' Quad. Easy hike for a 4K+ Prom Peak.
TWorth

Postby John Kirk » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 pm

TWorth wrote:http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=17491
Interestingly, no name is printed on the 7.5' Quad. Easy hike for a 4K+ Prom Peak.

There are a lot of names for this one:
Board on Geographic Names Decisions
Name Authority Decision Type BGN
Ch-paa-qn Peak Board Decision Official 2004
Squaw Peak Board Decision Official 1918
Skiotah Board Decision Official 1918
Skiotah Peak Board Decision Official 1917
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby RyanSchilling » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Glad to hear you changed your mind, John. My personal sentiments about the 'Squaw' renaming trend aside, I must admit, it seemed to me a little inconsistent to rapidly accept new names from the Board of Geographic Names, but to postpone adoption of changed names.
RyanSchilling

Return to US Mountains