Mt. Taylor route

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Mt. Taylor route

Postby cftbq » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm

The standard route for Mt. Taylor (NM) is a 6 mile RT via the Gooseberry Creek TH (FR 193). But a quick look at the map shows that FR 453 comes within a stone's throw of the summit on the other (east) side. Granted, the east side is steeper, but why isn't there any data on a short scramble route from this side??
"from mountains high, I gained strength for my soul" --Dave Cousins
cftbq

Re: Mt. Taylor route

Postby Cliff Young » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:35 pm

I climbed Mt. Taylor via FR 453 a while ago. I was able to drive a Dodge Magnum passenger car all the way to the saddle between Taylor and Mosca Lookout. Could have driven most of the way to the lookout. I then climbed to the lookout and returned.

There is a trail from the saddle to Mount Taylor summit. Not steep or hard at all.

Cliff Young
Cliff Young

Postby cftbq » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks, Cliff! That's just the sort of on-site info I was hoping for.
cftbq

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

The Gooseberry Creek route in the standard summer route since in winter the road is snowed in pretty much from the bottom (addint 10mi RT). The other route is the standard winter route since the road is plowed to the end of the paved section making it a fairly easy day trip(only a few hours in good conditions) to the summit.
davebobk47

Postby cftbq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:41 am

davebobk47 wrote:The Gooseberry Creek route in the standard summer route since in winter the road is snowed in pretty much from the bottom (addint 10mi RT). The other route is the standard winter route since the road is plowed to the end of the paved section making it a fairly easy day trip(only a few hours in good conditions) to the summit.

Wait: Don't you have to go past the Gooseberry Creek TH on FR 193 to get to the junction with 453? Or is there another way in? (I am looking at doing this in calendar winter.)
cftbq

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Going up Rt 547 you will come to FR 193. For summer you'd drive down this dirt road 5 miles. For winter continue driving on 547 past 193 until you hit the turn off for 453. 453 does have some snow on it so it may or may not be passable in a car although there is a fair amount of foot traffic on it.
davebobk47

Return to US Mountains