Sierra Grande, Union County, NM COHP

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Sierra Grande, Union County, NM COHP

Postby TexasAg05 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:30 am

Hey everyone....I am new to this forum, but it looks like it could be another great resource in my hiking endeavors.

This next weekend (June 26-28), I will likely be hiking Sierra Grande (Union County, NM's COHP). I have done research at surgent.net, cohp.org, and summitpost.org and have decided I would prefer to try the public access route on the east side. I arrived at this decision because my 4WD Explorer may not be up to the challenge of the "summit road" (at least the conditions that were reported in 2002-2004). However, the route from the east is barely discernible off of the aerials on Google Earth once you get further from US/64.

Therefore, does anyone have any advice or newer information (the latest I've found is 2004) on this approach? Any waypoints/photos/etc. taken at points along this public access would be greatly appreciated...

I will likely be posting some trip reports @ cohp.org in the coming weeks of my hikes to several NM COHP's last weekend as conditions on some of the roads in those areas differ from reports that are 5-6 years old as well.

Thanks!

Lee
Lee Rosenbaum
Abilene, TX
TexasAg05

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 pm

I did it from the east in 2004. I think it was pretty straight-forward.

This is what you are looking for:
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TexasAg05 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:03 pm

John,

Thanks for the help there with the visual. After writing my first post, I actually discovered your trip report--which offers more information. Upon reading your report, would you have any idea where the "parking lot at 7200" would be?

Additionally, besides being bumpy, are there any particulars about the road condition I need to be concerned with?

Thanks again.....

Lee
Lee Rosenbaum
Abilene, TX
TexasAg05

Postby John Kirk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:31 pm

John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Sierra Grande, Union County, NM COHP

Postby BarryRaven » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Did you make it? Kinda late but I just saw this. I did it a few years back but a horrendous thunderstorm ran me off 10 minutes from the summit. There was a large herd of elk up there.
Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know
BarryRaven

Return to US Mountains