Grand Canyon Summits

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Grand Canyon Summits

Postby coloradoscott » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Has anyone summitted any of the towers, buttes, etc. within GCNP? I'm awaiting my backcountry permit for April and am hoping to have a shot at climbing Cheops Pyramid. On a previous trip there a few years ago, I became extremely curious about climbing other formations such as the Battleship, Escalante and Cardenas Buttes, etc.

Some of them can be day hikes from the South Rim, and with the views that they would command, I am surprised there isn't a greater deal of interest (I do belong to Arizona Hikers website and have Tomasi's book among others). There doesn't seem to be very much climbing beta...
coloradoscott

Postby John Kirk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Bob Packard is probably a guy you'd want to talk to - he spent a lot of time in there before peakbagging took hold.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Prater » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Check out the gcclimbing Yahoo group. There's some decent info about various summits in past messages.

I did Zoroaster and Brahma a few years ago. Might try for something else this spring. I'd love to spend more time in the GC.
John Prater

Postby coloradoscott » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for the help. We got our permit back and were shutout of the Cheops option, as our BC permit is for the Grandview to Kaibab route along the Tonto. I'll probably try to summit the block (w/ 300' of prominance) on Horseshoe Mesa during the day 1 descent to Cottonwood Creek. Anything else would be either too far or too difficult unless I have time from the south rim for a day hike or two.
coloradoscott

Return to US Mountains