How many peaks are in within your climbed peaks radius?

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Re: How many peaks are in within your climbed peaks radius?

Postby Al Sandorff » Thu May 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I wonder how many Mike Garrett would have if he listed his coordinates, or Bob Martin
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Al Sandorff wrote:I wonder how many Mike Garratt would have if he listed his coordinates, or Bob Martin

Mike (centered near Dolores, Mancos, Cortez): 18 peaks done in an 18 mile radius. There are some super tough peaks very nearby (also these are on the Ute Indian reservation).
Bob (Centered at Tuscon): 21 peaks in 10 miles (Bob didn't hike in Indian Reservations much).

Radius bagging appears to be a new game. Success can be heavily affected by where you live... However, people can choose the center of the radius when running the calculation, so if there is a problem area near where you live, try working on a new radius centered elsewhere. I've thought about creating a version that will show the biggest glob of peaks possible (The center point is variable and is chosen based on largest count), but optimizing it is a problem (takes a really long time to run). I'll leave it up to people who are interested enough to figure out their own optimal center point - experiment to get the best results.

For Instance, I have 303 summits completed in a 38.84 mile radius by putting coords here instead of near my home:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/50prox.php?lat=39.67&lon=105.1162&r=299&member=John+Kirk
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby BrianR » Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 am

John Kirk wrote:
Al Sandorff wrote:I wonder how many Mike Garratt would have if he listed his coordinates, or Bob Martin

Mike (centered near Dolores, Mancos, Cortez): 18 peaks done in an 18 mile radius. There are some super tough peaks very nearby (also these are on the Ute Indian reservation).
Bob (Centered at Tuscon): 21 peaks in 10 miles (Bob didn't hike in Indian Reservations much).

Didn't Bob split his time between Tucson and Buena Vista, CO for many years? He may have much better stats for the latter.

Radius bagging appears to be a new game. Success can be heavily affected by where you live... However, people can choose the center of the radius when running the calculation, so if there is a problem area near where you live, try working on a new radius centered elsewhere.

I hadn't really thought about that. I'll have to try that since I haven't even climbed my closest peak! (It's at least 4th Class and I'm not sure if that might be "4th Class" for a climber; i.e., something a sane scrambler like me would rope up for. Plus, it's off-limits half of the year for falcon nesting.)
BrianR

Postby John Kirk » Fri May 07, 2010 8:27 am

BrianR wrote:Didn't Bob split his time between Tucson and Buena Vista, CO for many years? He may have much better stats for the latter.

I did a couple first ascents a little over a month ago that are less than 10 miles from BV - the only two Bob was missing to complete Chaffee County.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I noticed that on the 50 Closest Peaks list, one of the member choices is "None". Would it be possible to also add that option to the 50 Closest Peaks map as well? The visual could be helpful for trip planning, much like the County Completion maps are, but with a different parameter that ignores boundaries.

I suppose one could easily do it by using their own member name with whatever coords they desire to show their closest unclimbed peaks to that spot, but it would still be a nice option to be able to see all the peaks, including any you had already done, just like on the county completion maps. So better yet, maybe there could be a check-box or drop-down menu item on the map page to also include the selected member's climbed peaks in the selected "# of closest peaks". Unclimbed peaks would remain the default view, as would 50 peaks and 300' prominence but with the options to vary all.

Just a thought,
Rick
wayfarer

Postby John Kirk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm

crshortt wrote:I noticed that on the 50 Closest Peaks list, one of the member choices is "None". Would it be possible to also add that option to the 50 Closest Peaks map as well?

Added it...
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby wayfarer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Cool. Thanks John. Perfect!

Rick
wayfarer

Postby MikeRodenak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks John! I like the option to choose "none" as well, I only have 8 in my radius to the closed unclimbed, but by switching it to none I can now see how many I have done in between the unclimbed ones. Out of the closest 50 peaks to my house, I have climbed 46 of them, but unfortunately just haven't got to the 9th closest one yet. I'll have to change that this spring 8)
MikeRodenak

Previous

Return to US Mountains