Bob Burd finishes CA 13ers

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Bob Burd finishes CA 13ers

Postby TeresaGergen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

Congrats to Bob Burd, who finished the CA 13ers on Ericsson Crag, a tough final peak on a seriously tough list. Bob is a Sierra peakbagger hardman, and he dayhiked many of these peaks. He's also a nice guy.
TeresaGergen

Re: Bob Burd finishes CA 13ers

Postby Bob Burd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Go me! :-D
(Thanks Teresa!)
Bob Burd

Postby lukePlumley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Awesome list Bob! What is the history here? Is this a possible first completion like Teresa and Sarah in WY, or have other non-LOJ members finished earlier? Congratulations!
lukePlumley

Postby Bob Burd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

lukePlumley wrote:Awesome list Bob! What is the history here? Is this a possible first completion like Teresa and Sarah in WY, or have other non-LOJ members finished earlier? Congratulations!

It's unclear. Andy Smatko did all of the CA 13ers with the exception of Ericsson Crags back in the 60s and 70s. More recently, but still quite a while ago, Kyle Atkins claims to have climbed them all back in 1995. His list was undoubtedly self-compiled and possibly lacking some of the rigor of prominence-based listings compiled since then. Still, I believe his list was 170 peaks strong which is more than one will find on LoJ, and I've seen his name in some of the most obscure 13er registers, so he may have nailed them all. I've been trying to contact him or someone who knows him to see if he has any records that could be perused, but no success yet. He also has made over 1,000 Sierra summits, so it would be wonderful to get his climbing record preserved.
Bob Burd

Return to US Mountains