Mount Gabb (CA) Elevation

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Mount Gabb (CA) Elevation

Postby Al Sandorff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:17 pm

Is the spot elevation believed to be not true, because there is a contour missing on some maps? Is it on some maps and believed that it should not be? Could it be that the maps without the contour are wrong? I do see on the Arc Gis World map that Bear Creek Spire is 18 meters higher than Gabb and Abbot is 3 meters higher than Gabb. Has someone been up there with a level? Just wondering about the logic.

Al
Al Sandorff

Re: Mount Gabb (CA) Elevation

Postby John Kirk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:54 pm

False contour is the first issue, not just because some maps don't have it, but also because the location of the contour is not where the HP actually is (and the stacked profile of the contours implies a tower which is not there). Second is 15' maps show Gabb as lower than Bear Creek Spire. A resurvey is definitely needed to resolve Abbot vs. BCS and get a better read on what Gabb should be.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Is there a source where I can read more about this? I've never been closer to the area than the road from which I went up Morgan on the other side of the valley. I had a decent view of there on Saturday from Mount Tom, but I didn't know about the issue until after.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby Al Sandorff » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:19 pm

Does Lidar offer any help?
Al Sandorff

Postby John Kirk » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Al Sandorff wrote:Does Lidar offer any help?

It would certainly help if it were available, but it isn’t as with most of the Sierra.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby Al Sandorff » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Something I and possibly others might find helpful is a list of lidar peaks that have been promoted from soft ranked to ranked, similar to the tab for peaks that have moved location due to lidar information. So far I have found three in my area, a Carson City County peak that means I will have to finish that county a third time :), Rose Knob, and another just South of Verdi Peak.

Al
Al Sandorff

Postby TeresaGergen » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:49 pm

Two soft ranked peaks in Carson City County were promoted to ranked:
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/46233
https://listsofjohn.com/peak/47389

I analyzed all the peaks in LOJ in Carson City County with P200-299 and didn't find any others.

Scroll way down here to the "Other States" section and look for peaks in your state of interest that are highlighted green:
https://listsofjohn.com/lidar/lidar.php

Note that in CO, work was done (is being done) to locate contours that had not had enough prominence to be soft ranked, and had no other attribute that had allowed them to ever be included in LOJ in the first place, and a dozen or so of these have ended up ranked after all. So there could still be peaks in, say, Carson City County that show up later if anyone ever comes up with a list of candidates in other states for not-in-LOJ peaks with over, say P200 or P220 or P240 that could be analyzed.
TeresaGergen

Postby Al Sandorff » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:03 pm

Good stuff, thanks for the info!
Al Sandorff

Return to US Mountains