WVA peak 1467

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

WVA peak 1467

Postby drdickie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I climbed this one today. Is it possible that it is slightly higher than the listed elevation of 1467? I had GPS readings on top over 1510. Probably that is just GPS error, but the spot marked as the high point in the satellite view is not the highest point. The satellite view shows a bare spot to the right of the trees. Under these trees there is a rocky spine. The high spot is under the trees about 30-40 feet northwest of the spot shown on the satellite view and I'd guess about 10-15 feet higher.

Also while I have your attention, how do I reset my password form the computer generated one I just got when I forgot it when I tried to log into the forum?

Dick Oestreicher--Drdickie
drdickie

Re: WVA peak 1467

Postby John Kirk » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 pm

I'd say it's likely GPS variability. You can multiply the horizontal error range by 3 or 4 times for vertical accuracy. So if your horizontal accuracy is +/- 15', vertical is likely to be off +/- 45'.

Also note that LoJ summit locations are determined by placing a lat/lon referencing a paper quad that was scanned manually by National Geographic/caltopo/mytopo/etc. If the manual scan is off by a even a 32nd of an inch, you'll see a 62.5' horizontal difference in the field.

To change Password:
http://www.listsofjohn.com/board/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=reg_details
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to US Mountains