Wind Rivers & Grand Teton

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Wind Rivers & Grand Teton

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:43 am

In early August we will be going to Jackson to climb the Grand Teton. On our way up there, we'd like to stop off and do a 4 day trip in the Wind Rivers. One day packing in, (not more than 10 miles) one day packing out and two days left to climb something, preferably in the 2+ class, 3rd or 4th class range. We're looking for suggestions from members who have some experience in that range that would come close to fitting the above criteria. One area we're considering is Cirque of the Towers, but understand it can be rather crowded around there. Any ideas?

Also, in climbing the Grand Teton, we're just planning on going by the Owen/Spalding route. (5.4) Can anyone suggest a minimum amount of hardware to take for that route?
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Re: Wind Rivers & Grand Teton

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 am

When I did the Grand I went with Exum and their guides typically only carried 2-3 pieces for the OS route. Of course they've climbed it a hundred times. All of them carried at least 1 cam (thinking it was a BD in the .75-#1 range). Outside of that is was either a hex or nut (medium sizes). I felt the crux chimney wasn't too bad because it was not exposed. The belly crawl area was extremely exposed but not too hard. I remember thinking that was the one place where I was happy to be roped up.

Here is the suggestion of SP: "Most people who climb OS use a light rack: Medium to large stoppers, 3 or 4 cams from 3\4 to 2 inches. The rappel takes either two ropes at least 35 meters, or one 70 meter rope"
davebobk47

Postby TWorth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:26 pm

In 2009 I did a 4 day trip in the southern Winds - Day 1 pack in to upper Little Sandy Creek from Sweetwater TH, Day 2 Wind River Peak(class 2). Day 3, Four 11ers west of Little Sandy(class 3s), Day 4 pack out.

Approach is probably a bit over 10 miles and requires going over a pass, on a good trail.

Temple Pk is a great summit would be better to visit than those 11ers, guidebook says its class 3-4 from the Little Sandy side. (I used a west approach in 2012). East Temple looks doable from upper Little Sandy as well.

If you elect not to pack, the southern part of the range has signficant peaks that can be reasonably day hiked, such as Mt Nystrom, again Temple Peak(from west), Atlantic Peak.

If I had 4 days, instead of going to the Cirque, I'd go to the E side of the range and pack in to Grave Lake for 12ers, from Dickenson Park. Or climb Lizard Head Pk and other 12ers from a high camp, starting from that same trailhead.
TWorth

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks to both of you for your responses and advice.
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
ClimbingCooneys

Postby John Kirk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 am

Island Lake (11 mile approach) would be a great 4 day destination:
Harrower (aka Ellingwood) 13,052 Class 3+
Knife Point 13,001 Class 3
12,500, Class 4
Elephant Head 12,180 Class 3
Mount Lester 12,342 Class 3
"Faler Tower" 12,607 if you're looking for some spice (5.0)
Jackson Peak and Fremont Peak are accessible from the Island Lake area also.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby John Paul » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 am

Looks like SarahT (http://www.13ergirl.com) has some amazing photo trip reports for these Indian Basin peaks...

Harrower Peak (aka Ellingwood Peak)
Knife Point and 13198
Fremont and Jackson

Man she really knows how to take a picture! JP
John Paul

Return to US Mountains