Several PA peak names

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Several PA peak names

Postby TomInPA » Sun May 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Jon,

Your database is amazing. Hats off to all the work you have done. I have a few PA peak names for you that I've tracked down:

Ohiopyle quadrangle: Pt. 2,930 is referred to as Ohiopyle Knob on an index of old PA fire towers. The fire tower no longer exists.
Ellsworth quadrangle: The two points 1,490 are named Scenery Hill and Van Voorhis Hill, respectively. These names appear on the map.
Jersey Shore quadrangle: Pt. 2112 is referred to as Mt. Logan, and is a major landmark on several local cross-country races.
Wertzville quadrangle: Pt. 1315 is listed as Blue Mountain in several Appalachian Trail guides and on PATC Appalachian Trail Map 1.
New Ringold Quadrangle: Lehigh County High Point is listed as Tri-County Corner in several Appalachian Trail guides and on the KTA Appalachian Trail map.
TomInPA

Re: Several PA peak names

Postby John Kirk » Mon May 12, 2014 9:46 am

Tom,
On the Ellsworth Quad, those two names refer to the locality as a populated place and are not summit names:
_.jpg

2_.jpg

For Blue Mountain, the name spans a really long distance across several quadrangles. The name should apply to the HP of the mountain, and ultimately, the highest is http://listsofjohn.com/peak/126344

For Tri-County Corner, the location where the three counties intersect is about .2 miles SW from the 1674 spot elevation that is the Lehigh county HP candidate. Shouldn't it be at the tri-county location instead?

Updated the other two.

Thanks
John
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Postby TomInPA » Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks, John. This makes sense. My KTA map lists Tri County Corner and the Lehigh County HP as one point with elevation 1674 and my guide describes a side-trail to a vista at the benchmark. Either this map disagrees with the USGS topo or there are two benchmarks very close together.
TomInPA

Postby John Kirk » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 pm

TomInPA wrote:Thanks, John. This makes sense. My KTA map lists Tri County Corner and the Lehigh County HP as one point with elevation 1674 and my guide describes a side-trail to a vista at the benchmark. Either this map disagrees with the USGS topo or there are two benchmarks very close together.

The closest BM I could find per NGS is .4 miles from the Lehigh HP. That's the 1568' BM here. I don't see any mention of a BM in any of the reports on cohp.org.

This and a few other references talk about a spot where the three counties meet:
http://books.google.com/books?id=whUI4-fytYEC&lpg=PA62&ots=22uqLwOD9t&dq=%22Tri-County%20Corner%22%20Berks%2C%20Lehigh%20and%20Schuylkill%20Counties&pg=PA62#v=onepage&q=%22Tri-County%20Corner%22%20Berks,%20Lehigh%20and%20Schuylkill%20Counties&f=false
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Return to US Mountains