Mt St Helens, Lava Dome

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Mt St Helens, Lava Dome

Postby Kelly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 am

John,

Ever since I started this peak bagging foolishness (Thank you!!) I have been questioning your ranking of the Mt St Helens Lava Dome (Skamania County WA, #3). This being in my back yard, (and almost getting vaporized by the blast) I have paid pretty close attention the volcanic activity up there. After the initial dome building, there was a period of intrusion that build a rib upslope of the dome. I had thought that this must have filled in the saddle that defined the Lava Dome, but had never been in a position to get a picture at the correct angle to show it. This weekend finally got it. The saddle is entirely gone, and to my view, the dome now has essentially "0" prominence. My guess is that the maps have not been upgraded to show this 2005 - 2008 change. This time lapse video shows it pretty well also.
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2013/02/02/time-series-of-dome-and-glacier-growth-at-mount-st-helens-2004-2012/
27-Lava Dome-S.jpg
From Windy Ridge
Kelly

Re: Mt St Helens, Lava Dome

Postby John Kirk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks for the info - I've updated it to reflect the filled-in saddle.
John Kirk
LoJ Architect

Re: Mt St Helens, Lava Dome

Postby Kelly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:58 am

John,

I really appreciate the way you take care of details like this.

Not really how I want to reduce the number of summits to completion, but now I only have 153 to go to complete the county!

Thanks again,

Kelly
Kelly

Return to US Mountains