access to northern NM 12ers

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

access to northern NM 12ers

Postby drdickie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I hope to climb Ventrero, Jarocito, and Big Costilla in Northern Taos County this summer. I note that several members have climbed them. How did you get access? All are on the boundaries between the Ted Turner ranch and The Rio Costilla Coop Association.Member Phil Robinson paid $500+ a day to the Turner ranch to get access. I wrote the coop board to get permission to access the peaks from their side and was denied. Any advice about this from people who have done it? Anyone else who wants to climb them (with this slow-moving geezer--66 in August)?

dick oestreicher drdickie
drdickie

Re: access to northern NM 12ers

Postby jonesdcu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 am

I'm also curious about these peaks, as well as some others in New Mexico that are restricted access but have been climbed by members of LoJ. These include Redondo Peak, Alegres Mountain and Salinas Peak.

I would be happy to go hiking with you to any of those places but I'm moved from New Mexico and am now living in Idaho. Good luck!
jonesdcu

Postby Swithich » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 pm

You'll may have to correct me if I'm wrong, but, at least according to the Valles Caldera National Preserve website, it isn't technically illegal to hike in the preserve. So I think that Redondo peak (there is a second one in the Pecos wilderness) is technically okay to summit. I believe you aren't suppose to camp in the preserve.

In all practicality though, if you want to go frolic with the elk, I have a hard time seeing anyone stoping you. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've read on the website (and I've been up there twice now) it seems the preserve is day use only.

-Swithich

PS Note due to fires this summer large swaths of the Valles Caldera, and the Pecos Wilderness are closed until September 30th.

PPS So what I'm basically saying above is, pitch you tent in the Santa Fe NF surrounding the preserve and hike all day.
Swithich

Postby ChrisinAZ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:43 pm

As far as I'm aware, Redondo is still very much off-limits. Yes, the VCNP has some trails open for hiking, but none of them are terribly close to Redondo, and the peak itself is apparently considered sacred. That said, it has been and certainly could be done, with the right approach and a bit of shrewdness.

I'd be thrilled if the area opened up for full recreational opportunities, but for the time being, I'm not holding my breath.
ChrisinAZ

Postby Swithich » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:44 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:As far as I'm aware, Redondo is still very much off-limits. Yes, the VCNP has some trails open for hiking, but none of them are terribly close to Redondo, and the peak itself is apparently considered sacred. That said, it has been and certainly could be done, with the right approach and a bit of shrewdness.

I'd be thrilled if the area opened up for full recreational opportunities, but for the time being, I'm not holding my breath.

Well, "sacred" has many definitions wherever you go. Mt. Taylor is considered sacred also, as is Sierra Blanca. Mt. Taylor, as we know is hiked to daily, by many a mountain pilgrim, and even though Sierra Blanca is technically off limits, the Apache's have so much respect for it, they put a Ski Resort on its northern flank. So I take the word "sacred" down here with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are people who actually hold such places in high esteem...but there are many other factors that lay the foundation for "protecting" something other than religious belief.

As for hiking. The trails are what the VCNP seem to encourage, but like I said, I can't find anywhere on the site where it says you aren't allowed to hike in the preserve (again, I could be wrong on this...and if anyone can show me I'll be glad to recant). Here is the page:

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/hike/

Read the first sentence under backcountry hiking "Spend a day hiking the backcountry on your own or with an interpreter."

I'm just pointing out what it says. Just because it has a fence around it, and very little parking, doesn't mean it is off limits.

I will note I think it is suppose to be day hiking only, but I'm not inclined to think twice about hiking in the preserve.

-Swithich

PS Final statement on the same page:
"Overnight camping, the use of motorized vehicles, or any other outdoor recreation activity except hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing is prohibited. Recreation access and parking regulations within the bordering public lands will be monitored and strictly enforced. "

PPS The State of the Preserve 2012 report notes backpacking and camping are not "widely available", but again, this basically points out that hiking is allowed, but not camping. They also note they hope to expand these activities in the future.
Swithich

Postby jonesdcu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm

I think this is what steered me away in the past. On the Rules for Hikers page: "Please stay on designated trails only"
http://www.vallescaldera.gov/comevisit/hike/hike_rules.aspx.

This is a pretty insteresting account of an attempt at the peak: http://www.surgent.net/highpoints/nm/sandoval.html

What about Salinas? Has anyone been granted access to Salinas Peak, and if so, how?
jonesdcu

Postby davebobk47 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 am

Yes, during my time in ABQ I always believed it was off limits with the exception of the guided hikes. I did spend a lot of time looking at maps for a similar "scouting" hike to Scott's.
davebobk47

Postby Swithich » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am

I guess I stand corrected.

-Swithich

PS Well, it is worth a call.
Swithich

Return to US Mountains