Timber Peak

Discuss anything pertaining to mountains of the U.S.

Timber Peak

Postby drdickie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 pm

I climbed Timber Peak in New Mexico today. It is listed as class 2. The last 40-50 feet of elevation gain is a rock scramble. I do not claim any expertise in classifying ascent difficulty, but as I read the definitions I wonder why this isn't listed as class 3. Do others who have climbed this peak have an opinion.
Dr. Dickie Dick Oestreicher
drdickie

Re: Timber Peak

Postby davebobk47 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey,
I believe I'm the one who submitted a 2 for this peak. I was able to bushwhack around to the climber's left of the rocks and never used my hands to climb which is why I gave it a 2. There is certainly a possibility of 2+ or 3 on the summit area.
davebobk47

Re: Timber Peak

Postby Jack Shiver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:36 pm

I think Timber Peak is a Class 2 and that davebobk47 listed it correctly. One of the characteristics listed at Climber.org for a Class 3 peak is--"MUST use your hands for progress but don't need to search for holds nor do you need Real Rock Climbing(TM) techniques." Using one's hands on Timber peak is optional. While the slopes--particularly the west slope--are steep, it's possible to skirt around any of the large rock formations that surround the summit. At most this mountain is a 2+.
Jack Shiver

Return to US Mountains